"strangle switch" emulated w/ EQ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blujosh, Apr 4, 2014.

1. blujosh

blujosh

i apologize ahead of time if this is a better fit in a different sub-forum (if so, please let me know which).

i'm wondering if anyone out there that has used any of the Fender/Squier Bass VI guitars could describe how the strangle switch changes the sound of the instrument in terms of EQ. all i know is that it acts a sort of high pass / low cut, but i don't know which frequencies are being cut.

basically, i'm trying to setup my 10-band EQ pedal to closely approximate the same affect as the strangle switch w/ my non-Bass-VI guitar.

thanks in advance!

2. darthplagis

darthplagis

fender says its a bass cut, so id imagine then that its just a roll off at about the 3rd point of your 10 band with a boost to the mids and upper mids (about 5th and 6th of your graphic).

just a guess not knowing the Q points of the graphic.

3. blujosh

blujosh

here's the 10-band EQ pedal i'm using: MXR 10-band EQ

can you confirm which bands you think the cutoff would start at (and maybe which ones to boost), if you don't mind?

thanks!

4. darthplagis

darthplagis

just a guess at 31 and 62hz to cut and possibly 125, mid boost definitely in the 250+ band...., ill monkey with my pod tomorrow and get sweet spots down :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blujosh

blujosh

awesome, thanks!

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

A circuit simulation of the custom shop Bass VI reissue schematic says that the 3dB point is at 150Hz. That is for 1Meg pots, 0.05uF tone cap, and 0.0033uF low cut cap (those cap values would be 50nF and 3.3nF for sensible people). I am not familiar with the values used in the Squier VI but I would assume they set the low cut corner at the same frequency if they use different pot values. I have a Squier on order and I would like to be familiar with these details but it has not come yet....

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's a bass cut. Have you heard or played a Bass VI with the strangle switch? Just roll off your lowest lows.

9. darthplagis

darthplagis

:) not a bad guess of mine at 125 then :)

not had chance to monkey with pod but answer seems clear now LOL

10. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

No, not bad and given the variation in capacitor values 125 may be as accurate as 150. However in response to a comment on the OffsetGuitar forum I simulated the response with other settings of the tone control and those results are odd. With the tone control maxxed you get the expected result but as the graph on the right below shows you get very unexpected results as you dial back the tone. Oddly enough the graph below left shows that it should be possible to get more useful result simply by connecting the tone control to the pickup side of the strangle cap rather than the output side. As far as I can tell (I don't have my VI yet) Fender builds them with the tone control connected to the output side. Odd....

[​IMG]