strap and strap lock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Dec 17, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Schaller locks are what I use and they have a horseshoe piece that goes around the strap button so that even if the lock thing gets pulled on, the strap will not come off. You have to pull the knob outward, and then bring the strap down for those to disengage. I've never had one fail and they fit every strap I've ever had.

3. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

And that goes on the normal strap button? All I see are ones that have everything. I just want to make sure they are compatible and would prefer not to remove the one on it now.

4. TARDIS

TARDIS

Strap locks are AMAZING

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

It is 99.9973% certain the original strap button on the instrument will not be compatible*. Every brand of strap lock system I am aware of requires its own strap buttons to be installed on the bass. Schaller and Dunlop are the most popular brands. The typical strap buttons used on most basses will not work with either system.

[​IMG]

Even if the buttons on your bass look similar, they likely won't fit into the channel on the piece that is put on the strap.

I have them most of my guitars, basses, and straps. I haven't had any trouble unscrewing the old strap buttons and replacing them with the Schallers. Which is not to say that you won't. If the screws aren't the same size you might have to be a little creative.

I just noticed Sweetwater has what my 2 second search for a picture shows as the best price, with free shipping. Maybe I'll get another set.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CKqb1JiEuLsCFSbNOgod3kYAlw

If you don't want to do that, you can use a fender washer to permanently secure a strap with the original button and screw.

[​IMG]

* I have an Alembic that came with Schaller strap locks installed.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Dunlop Ergo will. I've never used them though.

8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I used to use the Schallers.. I use the Dunlops now. I prefer them. They are much easier to use.

9. Cycho

Cycho

I use a shoelace. Low tech FTW!

Blah114 likes this.
  10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, it's the rubber washer from Grolh's beer. You slip it over the button to hold the strap on. Same idea as fender washer only comes on and off easier.

Personally I prefer strap locks which require you to change the button.

These are Dunlop and Schaller. Both have certain problems. The Dunlops work great when fully engaged but you have to be CERTAIN they are locked. I grease them slightly to make them more certain of a lock. Now that makes you think that Schaller are much more positive locking. They are. But aren't as easy to use one handed taking straps on and off and even worse the strap is mounted with this large nut that without locktite tends to unscrew and the bass drop. So I rate them both 50-50.

I have standardized on Dunlop, however, just so my straps fit all my basses. The serious problem without straplocks of any kind is that with cheaper straps the weight of the instrument tends to elongate the strap hole. Eventually the strap keeps falling off the instrument. Locks fix that, clamping the strap end and even preventing elongation on cheap straps.

Hence my first business for any NBD is to install at least new Dunlop strap buttons. If you want each bass to have it's own strap and locks then you have to fork out the $15 for the locks, but you can also buy just the buttons online much cheaper and that lets you buy one or two really NICE straps and move them from bass to bass.

Generally speaking, though, I prefer each bass to have it's own strap even if it's only a cheapie nylon braid. I do sort of like some of the leather planet waves straps that are pretty cheap on Amazon. The Carvin Deluxe strap is VERY comfy and dirt cheap as well but does have a huge CARVIN on it in white letters. They also sell Dunlop locks at a good price too.

11. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I use the ones that come with a free beer.

12. Warhawk

Warhawk

Been using Schaller locks since the early '90s. Only time I had a problem is when the leather end (of the strap) dried out and broke around the lock. Dropped a L2000 on a concrete floor but didn't hurt the bass but for a few scratches. Now when I get a new strap I punch a hole just for the lock and take the locks off every year and moisturize the leather.

Whatever locks you use, be sure the strap is in good shape as well.

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Schaller straplocks here. My US Jazz Plus came with them from the Fender factory and I've been putting them on every bass I play since then and have never had any come loose or fail in any way. The trick is to have the U hang so it's pointing straight up when the bass is strapped on in your normal playing position. The other thing is to tighten the crap out of it. I use a 4" adjustable wrench and a 6" set of vice grips to get mine tight and I've never had a single one come loose.

14. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy

There are also these elliptical strap pins from Planet Waves available in chrome , black and gold .

Also Stewmac has these gripper strap pins .

Attached Files:

15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I like the Dunlops. I use them in a modified fashion. I just leave the strap lock separate from the strap and then pop it on the button as a back-up- This method eliminates wear on the "hole" which can get loose and allow the lock to "slip" out. Minds out of the gutter please.:D

16. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I still have two sets of the diamond shaped buttons Gibson sold in the early '80s. They work flawlessly. I have always been surprised that these stopped selling. These non-round buttons are the best simple step button that are not some mechanical contraption.

17. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

Old Gibson diamond shaped button photo.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387733519.964374.jpg

18. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy

Right on Chainsaw Willie.

Simple design , nothing to fail. Just set the longer length across the width of the body of the guitar so it is pretty much 90 degrees to the slit in the strap .

It's the old K.I.S.S. principal , ..... Keep. It. Simple. Stupid . lol

I have the Planet Waves elliptical strap pins on a few of my basses , besides being functional they also look cool unlike "normal" round strap pins . They have a sharp looking styling to them and come in nice looking finishes . I have some chrome ones and a set of the black ones on my basses. They are made of metal , not plastic. The Stewmac ones look like the might be plastic in their picture , but I am not sure.

You can put any strap on your guitar with them and they are cheap ! At Long and McQuade here in Canada the Planet Waves are $7.40 a pair plus tax.

19. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

20. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

How did they come up with those? Looks like somebody was using quick disconnects from an air tank as strap locks, then squished them down to streamline them. Don`t get me wrong, I really dig them.

21. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

Dunlop Ergo.

[​IMG]
    They go on any fairly regular round button and they work. If you pry them off without opening them up all the way eventually they can break but for $1.25 who cares?