1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strap extension?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mktrat, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

I did a few searches and found nothing sooooooooo.....

I have a couple of nice leather straps but the "tail" is too short. Is this something I can order from someone?

Should I try and make one? Where would I get good leather?

Normally I can figure this kind of stuff out on my own but I am not very familiar with leather/leatherworking.
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can get any kind of leather you need at Tandy leather online - buy the material, cut yourself a new tail strap (the adjustable extension part), dye it and add a finish coat to keep the dye from coming off on your clothes. You may need to learn some technique to cut the adjustment slots into the material. I'd probably use a hole punch at each end of each slot and a chisel to cut straight lines between the hole punches.

You won't spend almost as much as a single strap costs for the materials, and you'll have plenty of material to do multiple straps. Their Tan-Kote finish would work well on guitar straps. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/product/fiebings-tan-kote-2220-120.aspx
  3. 1960jbass

1960jbass

You can try a local leather shop. I had a strap custom made by a local shop that usually deals with bikers. Sometimes they might have some left over material that they could fix you up with.
  4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

5. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

Thanks for the help.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member