1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strap extension?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mktrat, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

I did a few searches and found nothing sooooooooo.....

I have a couple of nice leather straps but the "tail" is too short. Is this something I can order from someone?

Should I try and make one? Where would I get good leather?

Normally I can figure this kind of stuff out on my own but I am not very familiar with leather/leatherworking.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can get any kind of leather you need at Tandy leather online - buy the material, cut yourself a new tail strap (the adjustable extension part), dye it and add a finish coat to keep the dye from coming off on your clothes. You may need to learn some technique to cut the adjustment slots into the material. I'd probably use a hole punch at each end of each slot and a chisel to cut straight lines between the hole punches.

You won't spend almost as much as a single strap costs for the materials, and you'll have plenty of material to do multiple straps. Their Tan-Kote finish would work well on guitar straps. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/product/fiebings-tan-kote-2220-120.aspx

3. 1960jbass

1960jbass

You can try a local leather shop. I had a strap custom made by a local shop that usually deals with bikers. Sometimes they might have some left over material that they could fix you up with.

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Thanks for the help.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member