1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strap Height

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SJan3, Jan 25, 2014.

1. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

For years I have been wearing my instruments on the high side with the logic that I could access the upper register more easily.
    Well, today I lowered my strap about an inch or so and realized that my muscles feel much more relaxed. Anyone else experience this?
  2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I like to wear my strap so that my bass is in the same position if I am sitting or standing.
  3. Teacher

Teacher

I suppose I'm on the medium side. Too high and my right shoulder starts to get fatigued. Too low and my upper back and left wrist feel it.
  4. deeptubes

deeptubes

My basses have slowly crept up as the years have gone by. When I started 28 years ago, I wore them a little below belt level. I now wear them at about mid-ribcage height. That height works much better for my right hand technique, as I often assign fingers to strings.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

i Groove harder with it low, but play better with it high. I try to find a balance. :crying:
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

For me if my bass is high my right hand struggles, if its low my left hand struggles. I'd say i use an average height
  7. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Yes, it's the balance I'm looking for. Some things may be more natural with the bass higher, and some with it lower.
    I'm really addressing the fact that, for me, I must have been wearing it too high and experiencing certain physical discomforts. Lowering the bass eased some of this discomfort. I'm looking forward to my next gig to see how I feel after a few sets. I'm 58 now and the aches come a bit more easily!
  8. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

I like to wear my strap like a choke collar and for the upper horn of my bass to serve as a chin rest and for the elbow of my right plucking arm to extend above my head in the creepiest way possible.
  9. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

10. Jefff

Jefff

Find a length that feels right to both hands and leave it.
    It may be a compromise but if a few hundred hours it will be fine.
  11. DanGouge

DanGouge

Can't wear them too high, hurts my left wrist if I do.
  12. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

I think it was good at one time when I was younger and
    slimmer. Now my gut pushes the bass out a bit and so I needed the extra length to get it back to the same position.
  13. MrTaff

MrTaff

Mine sits below my gut with the neck angled around 45°, keeps both wrists fairly straight & I can comfortably play 1 finger per fret up to about the 12th fret. As you've found having the bass high gives you better access to the high frets but makes the low frets more of a stretch.
  14. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

Is your name Billy?
  15. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I wear my bass so that my wrists are straight. Which is lower than sitting position.
  16. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

I call my playing position "classical guitar/bass". Body low, neck as vertical as the strap will comfortably allow. This puts the least amount of stress on my fretting hand. It also makes it easier for me to switch back and forth from bass guitar to upright bass, even tho the right hand techniques are markedly different between the two instruments.
  17. basslayer

basslayer Supporting Member

my sweet spot is the bass strings at belt height. its lower than it would be if i played sitting, but i never play or practice sitting. i'm still finding my u bass sweet spot.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I wear my bass at my waist. I find it to be the most comfortable position.