Strap Lock/Button hole too big :(

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kwesi, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

A few months ago, right before we were about to start our first song in the show, my strap came loose from the strap button. The bass fell but I was able to catch it. Everything turned out fine but I was absolutely convinced that I NEEDED to get strap locks. I bought some and today I (stupidly and without reading the directions) drilled a larger hole to accommodate the larger screw and immediately afterward decided that strap-locks are completely unnecessary for me and the I've only had trouble with regular strap buttons once.

So now I'm left with a hole too large to put my old strap buttons into. I was thinking of filling it with wood filler or super glue, drilling a new hole and putting the old button with its smaller screw in and securing it in the new hole with some glue (something not too strong, like craft glue just in case i ever change my mind again).

Would this be an effective fix? Whatever I do I just want it to be as secure as possible. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Mike151

Mike151

I'm not a guitar tech, but I would think that if it were mine, I would continue to use the larger screw and just find buttons that work with that screw hole size.
    Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
    I just put on strap locks for the first time yesterday and found that the new buttons looked exactly like the one's I pulled off. I can use a regular strap or the strap locks now and from the looks of it, I could have just left the other ones on there.

3. stuonbass

stuonbass

I think the trick is to stuff the oversized holes with a thin sliver of wood, or two that the old screw will bite into and snug down the button. try splintering a tooth pick.

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby Supporting Member

Drilled a hole for the larger screw.....

If I understand you, all you need to do is jam a toothpick or two in the hole with a little wood glue. Break the toothpick(s) off flush and screw in the old screw.

But here is my question, if you already have the installation halfway done, why not use straplocks? Unless you think your strap wil never let go again or you can catch your bass everytime it tries to fly.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Dave

The Dave

+ 1 for just using the straplocks. Unless they're the Dunlop flushmount type, you'll still be able to use a strap, but straplocks are awesome anyway. Give 'em a shot. Then, if you don't like them, get a couple of toothpicks and problem solved.

7. pendergasta

pendergasta .- .- .-. --- -. / .--. . -. -.. . .-. --. .- ...

As said above, I'd either:
    1. Use the straplocks
    2. Drill out the BUTTON to fit the new, larger screw. I wouldn't keep messing with the bass. It will only get worse....

8. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought about that myself. Do regular drill bits work with metal as well? I've never tried.

And as stubborn or stupid as it may be I'm set on getting the old strap button back on there. As far as security they're the best buttons I've had and I like the way they look :). Besides that if I sell the strap locks I'll be able to buy a portable stand or a new cable both of which I need... or rather, want really badly :p.

9. BaldBass

BaldBass

Wood glue, matchstick, razor blade in that order.....and if you even remotely value your bass use strap locks of some type....Strap locks is the first mod I make on every new bass....usually followed by a string change

10. newbold

newbold

my standard crap button and cheap nylon strap have not failed me yet.

that being said, In the past, jamming a toothpick into a reamed out screwhole that jiggled and flopped around worked enough to shim some friction in there. Simple fix, keep 'er hummin'.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

This weekend I jammed a toothpic with a tad of crazy glue into the hole and trimmed the toothpic flush so it wasn't sticking out. Then just started screwing the original screw back in. Nice and tight!!!

12. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I spent hours searching the net for solutions and the toothpick/matchstock method came up soooooo many times, lol. I went ahead and did it and it worked PERFECTLY :D! I don't why I doubted in the first place! A toothpick, some super glue, and a pair of scissors, a drill and I had a perfect fit.

On a related note, when I bought my latest Spector the owner included Schaller strap locks but I had no idea what they were or how to use them until I looked at another thread on the Bass forum. And since both of my basses uses Schaller strap buttons I've found the perfect strap lock, lol. Kinda sucks to know I wasted about $35 on the Dunlops but I'm glad I have something that makes my bass more secure.

13. ProfGumby

ProfGumby Supporting Member

You can always sell the Dunlops on the classifieds board here, someone will snap em up....

14. JustDavid

JustDavid

Bits meant for metal are a better bet.