1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strap Lock system

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WCHIII, Dec 21, 2012.

1. WCHIII

WCHIII

I've never used a strap lock system. Do they really make that big a difference? What make do you recommend? Thanks...

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

I like the Schallers. The biggest difference is that my bass never falls on the floor.

3. prd004

prd004

+1 on this, I wouldn't go without strap locks and I prefer the Shallers too. Just make sure you read the directions and install them properly a lot of people don't.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Washers work better. Grolsh or actual gigantic metal washers. That strap will never come off unless you strip the screw out of the guitar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. soulman969

soulman969

Another option when you don't want the added weight or clank. They work very well and run about half what a set of strap-loks do.

[​IMG]

7. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I love the idea of the T shaped buttons like that, but in practice they seem to stretch out the strap holes. So far my favorite has been Dunlop flush mount http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/flush-mount that I first encountered on a KS BT5, but it does rattle a good bit and of course it is a permanent body mod. So looking over current offerings, I want to try out the simple Lokstrap http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/Lokstrap_System.html which besides being simple and positive, requires no mods, and is dirt cheap, too.

8. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

It's not so much "makes a difference" as "prevents possible catastrophe." ;) I've heard stories of people dropping their axes and had my first bass almost slip once. And only once. Ever since then, all of my basses have Dunlop straplocks and their own straps, without exception.

I've tried Schaller, Ernie Ball and Dunlops, and the Dunlops are where my search stopped. I started with Schallers, but discovered that as they get broken in, they squeak (at least the black ones on both my Modulus and Warmoth did) and rattle quite a bit. I tried a pair of Ernie Balls, but they got replaced quite quickly. I think the set I got was defective, but... one side didn't lock. Dunlops are where my search stopped. They lock well and rattle much less than the Schallers.

Chris Stambaugh built me a 6-string with the inset Dunlops that Kurosawa mentioned and I love them. It added an extra layer of detail to an already stunning instrument.

For me, straplocks are a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.

5sg.

9. Itzayana

Itzayana

50 years of playing, mostly pro, thousands of gigs, never used strap locks, never had a bass come off of the strap. I move a lot on stage but not what would be called dramatic gymnastics. Now at 61 years old moving a lot might translate to lifting my foot on occasion. Been thinking about inventing a system to bolt my bass to the aluminum walker!

10. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

The nylon locks kurasowa indicated work great. They are strong and foolproof; the metal Schaller type are useless if you don't keep them threaded tight on your strap or use them with the opening of the cup pointing down as one fella here did, LOL. available at lots of stores.

The red Grolsch beer washers work good too. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=380409381417

11. kurosawa

Thanks for the good report on the nylon ones, just ordered them!

12. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

A very good point and another reason I switched away from Schallers. Kept having to tighten/adjust them.

5sg.

13. prd004

prd004

Yeah, that's the problem, the strap never comes off. How does that work better than straplocks?

Been using Shallers for over 20 years, my strap comes off when I want it off but never when I don't. I can also use any of my straps on any of my instruments, can't do that with a washer.

14. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

They don't fall apart like every strap lock eventually does. I just had to huck a Schaller button because it had worn through on one side. And they have to be constantly checked for tightness.

With dunlops you have to keep them oiled or those bearings will seize and the strap will fall off. And they hold the strap a looooong ways from the body unless you counter sink them into the guitar.

Washers hold the strap flush with the body and will never EVER fail unless you break the screw holding the button on or pull it out. And straps aren't that expensive, unless you fall for the marketing hype used by every "boutique" strap maker. I'm in the process of making a leather strap for each one. About $20 for a gigantic belt and about 10 minutes to cut it, punch holes to fit on the buttons, and punch more holes for a larger adjustment range. (add more time if being tooled or dyed, obviously)

15. prd004

prd004

I've never had one fall apart in 20+ years of playing, my current strap/straplocks are 9-1/2 years old. I have another set that is almost 20.
    If you put loctite on the threads (like the instructions say), you'll never have to tighten them either.

If using a washer and permanently screwing the strap to your bass works for you, I have no problem with that.
    I do not like having a strap if I'm seated either in studio or just practicing, therefore I would never choose to do that.

However, I can assure the OP that a properly installed set of straplocks will work properly

16. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i use schaller or proline strap locks on every guitar and bass i own. well worth the cost.

17. kurosawa

Yeah, I prefer the Dunlop flush mounts. The socket is buried in the wood.

Some day I'll do that when I know I'm never going to work on the bass again. I just keep needing to take the strap off to mess with it.

Yah, home made straps are the best. Exactly the right length with only 2 holes, no adjustments to get out of whack. I'd still be doing that if I hadn't gotten hooked on the neoprene jobs.

18. burl0029

burl0029

I like the Dunlop straplocks for a couple reasons. The strap buttons work better with a regular strap as they're a bit bigger. Also, I'm able to stand my bass up on the floor and lean it against the wall or amp if I'm desperate, whereas the Schallers have that small ball protruding from the center, making it impossible to balance. I do have a strap for each bass, but I'm probably only going to use one strap all the time as my wireless is attached to it. I think I've only put a touch of WD40 on them one time in many many years to stop a minor squeak.

I love the idea and look of the flush mount version, but I would hate not being able to use a regular strap if the need arose. Plus, on the bridge end I love having that perfect gap created by the straplock to loop my cable through.

19. Abner

Abner

The Grolsch washer method is not a permanent attachment. You put the strap on normally, then put the tight rubber washer on top. It may be little difficilt to put on, but then that's the point, isn't it? To make it hard to come off accidentally. But it is removable. And requires no modifications to your bass or strap.

As will the washers. Don't knock 'em til you've tried 'em.

-Alex

20. evilt70

evilt70

I have the Ernie Ball ones on all 5 of my basses, they work great, never had one drop, and they look great.

21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

used dunlops, schallers, hennesy's, and most recently 5/16 rubber washers. dunlops have been functioning perfectly for 12 years now. schallers come undone weekly, hennesy's crapped out in about 6 months. rubber washers are my current favorite. 40 cents for strap locks. held my (very heavy) bass by the strap right above the horn over my bed and shook the $h!t out of it. didnt come unhooked with the washers.