Strap locks for a '92 Warwick.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ryanthebold, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Ryanthebold

Ryanthebold

Last May I found and purchased a mint '92 6 string NT Warwick Thumb. This bass weighs about half as much as I do, so proper strap support is greatly desired. I've not been able to locate any suitable strap locks since nothing seems to be compatible with the brass inset recievers for the strap buttons.

Short of dropping heavy coin and ordering straight from Germany, what would you guys suggest? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. narcdor

narcdor

Should be the recessed dunlop strap locks. Order a set so you have both the pin and barrel for when the barrel starts to wear eventually.
  3. Ryanthebold

Ryanthebold

Thanks! I'll definitely have to look into those. I know that the receivers are there to reduce stress on the wood. It's been a pain to find a working standard strap lock.
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

I also recall that Warwick used to use Dunlop's Flush-Mount StrapLoks (which are fantastic if you have StrapLoks set up on all your straps, but sucks if you don't and have forgotten the strap - it makes it hard to borrow someone else's strap to play :eek: ) on all if not most of their Basses until sometime in the mid-'90s when entering the midrange market with some of their Basses.

I agree that taking out and reinstalling with a set of Brass Flush-Mounts would be the cheapest solution (you might need a Tech might have to remove the old "female" end from the Bass depending on how well it's installed and your amount and skill level with tools) , but if you want to keep your rare and expensive "investment" stock you might reconsider ordering directly from Warwick - if you were to ever sell it, being able to say the parts were replaced with genuine "Warwick Parts" could be the difference price-wise.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nick lorenz

nick lorenz Supporting Member

7. RCCollins

RCCollins

Regular Dunlops SHOULD fit right in, but it's worth investing in a flushmount set because the female end (recessed in the body of the bass) can wear out. You can get a set of standard dunlop straplocks for any bass you have that lacks the flushmount, and then you have an extra set of male ends (whch you can install in another strap if you see fit). Dunlops are great straplocks, give 'em a try.

Note that newer Warwick straplocks will NOT fit on pre-99 Warwicks. You need the Dunlops.
  8. madmachinist

madmachinist

i like the schaller straplocks best . very positive design , won't
    release accidentally , no ball bearings and tiny parts to crap out
    and jam up . you can use a conventional strap on the buttons too . you'll have to fill the holes , but imho that's much better
    than dropping your bass , or playing sitting down .
  9. Ryanthebold

Ryanthebold

Very useful information. Just what I was looking for. I've heard that they changed up the process for their basses sometime in the '90s.