1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I'm thinking of getting strap locks, although it's not a huge issue, since my strap rarely falls, and I tend to have a good enough grip on my instrument that if I'm doing anything that would pull it out of the strap, It won't fall or anything.

Anyway, I don't really know anything about strap locks, as my knowledge is enumerated in the Pros and Cons list below:

Schaller - Pros: My bass already has the Schaller pins installed. Cons: ???

Other brands???

So there we have it. So anyone know anything about how Schaller strap locks work? Since I'd only need half the parts, that seems most convenient, unless there are other brands that are much better. Anyone have a pros cons list of Schaller strap locks as opposed to any others, like Dunlop, etc?

Thanks!
  2. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

I first had the Schallers, got rid of them ofter the strap-side pieces wore down and would no longer hold in place (that happened in about a year's worth of use). Since then I've been using Dunlop with great success. All my basses have the traditional style that I've posted before. I also use another product they make that just locks the strap to the pin, I'll probably use those from here on out.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/traditional

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/ergo-lok-strap
  3. Ezmar

Ezmar

How exactly do the Schallers work? I can't tell just by looking at them what the mechanics of it are.

Would it be worth it to just go ahead and get the Dunlops? I've heard that they're better, but as I mentioned, I already have the pins for the Schallers in my bass. So if the quality/reliability is comparable, I might as well get them. but if they're not...?
  4. pflash4001

pflash4001

The Schallers aren't bad. The one thing I don't like about them is that the strap is secured between 2washers and the whole thing is secured by a nut. That nut could loosen over time and you need to check it periodically. Not a big deal, but with a flatulent brain like mine, I forget to check sometimes and they come loose. I really like Dunlops. Those are secured by an E-clip and are very secure. I've never had a Dunlop fail me. Bottom line, Schallers are good, but you need to periodically check them. Dunlops are pretty much set and forget.
  5. Chazinroch

Chazinroch Supporting Member

I have Schallers on all 8 of my basses and love them. Great company too. I lost a piece once and sent an email to the company to see if I could buy just that piece verses the whole set. They sent me a whole set free of charge. I will be a Schaller user for life.
  6. neebs

neebs

[​IMG]

They're discrete, and handsome looking. They grab onto the strap pretty darn good too. I would think to a greater extent compared to the schaller strap lock design. Minus a strap lock apparatus.

I've had strap locks before. Dunlops, several years ago. They worked... had no complaints. But I heard I'd have to smash my leather levi's strap, or punch a hole to accomodate the dunlops (which I think are more attractive than schaller design, personal opinion of course.)

I think the discrete nature of the elliptical endpins, and not requiring me to physical alter my current strap was my deciding factor.

edit: I also replaced the included rubber washer with a rubber o-ring. The included washer works, but considering it was being smashed to a paper thickness... I would just use a o-ring.. besides I have 10's of them laying around from miscellaneous earrings I own. Even if you purchased o-rings... they're only about a dollar at your local hardware store.
  7. Ezmar

Ezmar

Looking at the websites, I can't really get a good Idea of how the hell they work. I mean, for the Dunlops, all I see is what looks like a strap pin, so what about the mechanism that goes on the strap? What IS it?

I'm kind of tempted to get the Dunlops, since they seem so much more user-friendly, although I have no real Idea what they are, since the site doesn't seem to give me a picture of the locking mechanism itself. Very confusing...
  8. neebs

neebs

[​IMG]

The dunlops work like this keychain here.

I can assure you.. both straplock designs will be 'easy' to install. The hardest part for the schallers will be using loctite so it doesn't come undone. The hardest part for the dunops, would be using needlenose pliers to open the lock ring to fit onto the strap end piece.
  9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

You slide the end pin into the strap piece in a downward motion until it clicks in. It is prevented from coming out by the fact that it can only be slid out upwards and also because there is a locking mechanism between the two pieces that can only be released by pulling a little knob outward on the strap piece.

If that helps.
  10. Chazinroch

Schallers have a "U" shaped saddle that the bass strap pin sets in. Then there is a spring loaded pin that locks the saddle in place to secure it. You pull on the pin lock to release.

Very easy to install. Very secure.
  11. Ezmar

Ezmar

Okay, Follow up question, if I get the Schallers, and put them in the strap, can I uninstall them from the strap, or are they there for good?

Also, where would I be able to just order the strap pieces?
  12. neebs

neebs

You can uninstall all designs... unless you use epoxy or something.. hahheha.

Which I'm sure you 'could' remove it.. but I'm just being ridiculous here.
  13. Chazinroch

Just as easy to uninstall as to install.
  14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

You can uninstall them from a strap, sure. But you won't want to do that often. You make them secure by cranking on it with a wrench on a nut.
  15. neebs

neebs

I think another thing to consider, although probably not too important ... If you have a soft wood body. I believe the straplocks increased torque or moment arm, from being further away from the body could loosen/strip the wood and screw bond.

Probably not even an important factor, unless you are extremely active while playing. Jumping, swinging and what have you.
  16. MrPierre

MrPierre

17. Ezmar

Ezmar

18. neebs

neebs

Do you have more than 1 instrument? I don't know if you can buy the strap end of the schallers, but if you have two instruments and already own the end pin side you might as well go with the schallers. Just use some loctite.
  19. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Schallers on all my basses from day 1

the reason, once you buy a set you & attach to the bass & strap, ( & ya, use a bit of locktite or even your GF's nail polish on the nut ) you can just purchase additional pins only if you have more than one bass,, saves money

Schallers can't fail, as the endpin is sitting in a cup, can't really fall out

when Dunlops fail, ( & they do,, i've seen it too many times ) your bass crashes to the floor <<< makes grown men cry :crying:
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    In what way did the Dunlops fail? Were the bassists jumping and flailing around? I have them on all my basses and they are all secure.