1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strap no strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by matey, Nov 1, 2012.

1. matey

matey

I have been noticeing that people have pictures of thier guitars dont have straps and my teacher dosnt have one attached so i ask the question just attach them when you need them ? :bassist::confused:

2. hover

hover Banned

Yes.

That's why they come off. ;)

edit: if you have a bit of a gut like me, playing sitting down requires a strap too.

3. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

If I'm playing when I'm sitting down, I don't use it--either it's off or just not on my shoulder, but it also depends how high up on your body you like your bass. You kinda have to have one when you're standing though.

4. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I always wear mine and I usually play sitting down. It's a matter of preference.:)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Strap always. Saw a friend's Martin smash on the floor when it slipped from his grasp when he went to stand up.

7. carlos840

carlos840

I have schaller straplocks on all my basses and 4 straps available for any bass that needs it.

I just put a strap on when playing standing up (that sounds very wrong!) take it off before the bass goes back in the bag

For me its a question of quantity of straps, i have 14 basses, if i was to have a good quality leather strap (i use Italia) for each bass it would be a massive budget.
    Also purely a question of looks, all my basses are on stands in my office and it looks like crap to have straps hanging from them, but then i am pretty OCD so that might play a part in this!

8. LarryO

LarryO

do you leave the bathroom door open or closed when not in use?

9. matey

matey

i normally leave it open
    any how thanks for the infomation i bought this strap today my wife says it looks to redneck but i love it

Attached Files:

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    I have strap locks on every guitar and bass I own. Also, over the years, I have bought straps for each bass and guitar. So, every guitar and bass has a strap. Everytime they come out of their cases, I use the strap. Even if I am sitting down, the strap is on. More of a sense of security than anything else, but safe none the less.

11. klejst

klejst

Yep. I always remove the strap from my bass when I am not playing it. Just attach it when you need it.

12. bassteban

bassteban

I would've used the phrase *strap-on* in the title, and posted in *misc* to avoid OT replies like this. :)

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I only play sitting, so I don't usually use one. I've tried as I think it could benefit me but I can never get it in a comfortable position.

14. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I always use mine when I'm sitting. Accident's can happen even when your sitting plus I have my strap set to the height exactly the same as when I'm sitting for when I stand. I usually sit anyway, so when I stand it feels natural.

15. carlos840

carlos840

Open, but i always close the toilet lid, open toilet is not a good look!

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I think that the strap on my Ric has been on it for 20 years or so......

17. bassteban

bassteban

Edited to reveal your true thoughts. ;)

18. KiDD QuE

KiDD QuE

I leave the strap on my guitar but tend to not wear it. I like playing sitting down.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Huh....... Yeah, I got nuthin.......

20. diegobxr

diegobxr

Yeah I used to dislike the look of the strap-on-the-bass while on the stand so I took it off..

Now since I've been using the "Grolsch straplock" method I leave it on 'cause it's a PITA removing and installing everything over and over. I got used to it and I think it's good. Can't hurt to wear the strap while sitting too.

21. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Strap always. Taking it off and on softens the leather around the strap button and makes it more prone to disconnecting.

WHY would anyone take a strap off?? Once you buy it, using it is like wearing a seat belt - it's paid for, takes two seconds to put on, and probably will save you if you get careless.