Strap on back of headstock??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Jun 24, 2013.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

My left shoulder really hurt during and after my last gig. I wound up sitting down for the last set.
    I play a 54-style P. Any players out there use the strap button Ive seen on the back of some vintage Ps? Just wondering before I drill a hole. I use a thick padded El Dorado vintage style strap.
  2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

you could google a pic of the back of 62ri mij jazz bass headstock
  3. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

Have you tried any of the other solutions, like a strap button extender or lighter tuning machines? I'm not sure how much that'd help, though... It sounds like your bass could be just too heavy for you.
  4. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Gruv gear makes the dual strap
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I wouldn't. That could wreak havoc on your tuning.
  7. Billy K

Billy K

I have seen the strap buttons on the back of Fender head stocks also.I never seen them used but they did come on some Bass headstocks from factory
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I have a button on the back of my Jaco sig, it is basically just a '62. I have never once used it so I cannot tell you if you should expect better comfort or not.

You say your strap is padded, is it 4"? That can make a big difference.
  9. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

It's called the hootenanny button! Really, its actually called that. A lot of old country guys used to use them, and if i remember correctly, I've seen Brian Wilson use it on some old footage.

Fender started the hootenanny button in about 1960 and it was gone by about '68. That's why the '50s reissues don't have em and the '60s RIs do.
  10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I've always wondered whether having the button there could cause any issues with strain on the neck (of the bass) from the weight...
  11. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I seem to remember McCartney having is Hofner strapped that way in early photos.
  12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    And it is awesome. Just got mine last week and I'm amazed at how much it helps.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yes he did.

[​IMG]
  14. Russell L

Russell L

I'd guess that putting the strap on the headstock of any instrument with a bolt-on neck is asking for trouble. Whether it would feel better or not, though, I dunno. I've done it with an acoustic guitar, but ultimately drilled a hole at the end of the neck instead.

I have shoulder problems. That double strap sounds interesting. I've even thought about building a stand to hold my bass so I can just walk up to it, LOL (is there such a thing?). I hate playing bass sitting down. It puts my plucking hand in the wrong position, for me.
  15. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

I put mine there occasionally on my wishbass when I want to wear it higher. I don't think it's a big improvement comfort wise.