1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strap Question

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by LilRay, Oct 22, 2012.

1. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    OK Roscoeheads,

For those of you that use leather straps with the standard "ladder back" tail construction, like this;
    [​IMG]

Do you prefer a long taper from the shoulder, or do you prefer to have the width of the strap down closer to the upper horn?

EDIT; Also do you prefer suede or leather lining?

For those of you that use Smith style straps I have an idea that I'll share with you privately:ninja:.:D

I ask these questions for educational purposes only. :bag::ninja:

:D

God Bless, Ray
  2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

I'm not too fussed really, I suppose I prefer the strap to be full width down to the upper horn, but if it's a good strap either way is a non issue.

The back lining is the big deal, IMHO. I far, far prefer a leather back, smooth and slippery like the front, suede is way too clingy. Irritating as you move about.
  3. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    I had a suede lined strap that I used for like 6 months and the tan suede turned black where I sweat.:eyebrow:

With "soft milled" leather of a decent thickness, if you prefer slick, you might not need a lining.

God Bless, Ray
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The taper doesn't really matter much to me. I do like suede b/c I don't like it to slip on me. I have 3 right now and the suede matches the color of the leather (black, tan, red).

I would like to find a 4" wide leather strap with lots of padding (like memory foam) for my shoulder and back.

The ladder type is what I have but it's usually so long that I have the smaller strap weaved in and out (going in both directions) to get it to a short enough length that I can use it.
  5. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

I use four inch straps that taper about six or eight inches. Also, I much prefer leather. Ease of moving the bass around my shoulder is a big deal for me.
  6. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Fred, I'm going to be making custom straps by early next year and I could design a short tail so you won't have to deal with that.:ninja:

Cool Joel!

God Bless, Ray
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

I use 4" wide Italia straps, with leather backs. I HATE suede backs--pull my shirt around when I move my bass.
  8. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

That's what I use. Love 'em.
  9. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

I'm very interested in learning more, Leathersmith.
  10. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    I have something very specific in mind for you two in regards to this. I will PM you's guys or y'uns or y'all the details.

God Bless, Ray
  11. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

I would like to see a strap that came down and sat flat against my chest, without the "twist" to attach to the button. Does that make sense?
  12. Biggbass

Biggbass

i always strap it so the connection/buckle/loop part of the strap is behind me.
  13. EricssonB

EricssonB

The guitar I built has the front button on the back of the horn. No twist, perfect balance. :)
  14. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

The only problem with that is when you start moving the button back it changes the balances of the instrument . Not a big deal on a guitar, but on say a 6 string bass with a shorter than average upper horn, then neck dive could be an issue.
  15. EricssonB

EricssonB

Why yes, yes it could. :D
  16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

Probably be possible with some kind of L bracket attachment.
  17. Freddels

or a swivel type attachment.
  18. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    This is my all-time favorite strap. I probably own 5-6 of 'em at this point (several black, plus a few other colors).

3.5" width, garment leather top, suede back (I like my strap to grab a bit), foam padded. I've tried a bunch of 4" straps, and my shoulder isn't quite wide enough to take 'em (the strap ends up cutting into my neck). 3.5" is a better fit for me.

I do happen to be a Levy's dealer. Maybe I also need to become a "Lil Ray" dealer?!? :D
  19. Freddels

I didn't know you were a Levy's dealer. I don't see them on your website. The ones that I have were made by someone on another forum. However, I don't think he's making them anymore (it's a tough business).
  20. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Waitaminute!:bag:

Your help will come a little later once I get prototypes.:ninja:

I want to first develop a superior quality "Base" (pun intended) strap. Fully handmade by me personally. I'm terrible at hand stitching but that alone produces a longer lasting piece. I just have to get good at it.:meh:

Now for those of you that prefer 4 inch straps, would 3.5 " suffice, or do I need to figure "Superduperspecial" custom rates for Greg?

:bag:

God Bless, Ray