Straplocks and String choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BirdThunder, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

So i'm kinda "upgrading" my thunderbird classic-IV pro.
    I recently ordered a hipshot supertone bridge and tuners, so the next on my list are straplocks, I use the planetwaves strap with lock but it resulted to nasty bucklerash on my axe. I'm gonna replace them with straplocks, idk what to buy though I have my eye on LOXX 13679 Strap Lock System but they're a bit pricey, I heard schallers pokes you and dunlop are not secure enough, So i'm gonna need your opinion with locks, And ofcourse STRINGS!, while the stock strigns are good, I need to get replacement sooner or later, I have my eye on d'addario prosteels and nickel wounds, I play rock/alt rock music and I kinda love fat and deep tones, any experience related answer?

*sample: https://soundcloud.com/ralphnyc/sets/paladin (some of it are messed up)
  2. uniphasian

uniphasian

Use Dunlops exclusively - including on a FB VII and a Sadowsky NYC PJ4. Never had a problem. Not even once.
  3. SteveC

SteveC

I have used Dunlop for years. It's the first "mod" I make when I get a bass. Never had an issue.

The next is strings - DR Hi Beams.

That's usually all I do. I don't usually buy a bass with the intent of changing everything.
    fourstringgirl likes this.
  4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

All of my Fender and EBMM basses have Fender/Schaller/Grover strap buttons. Never had an issue, just make sure you use blue loctite on the lock itself.

I looked at Loxx but was told by the sales guy to stay away due to quality concerns.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Me too. I've got a few sets that are going on 20 years. I've got a set of Schallers on my Ric and I have no complaints from them either.
  7. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Can you tell me what models do you use? specifically for dunlops. Thank you!
  8. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I've used Schaller's for a very long time and never had a single problem. I've never heard of getting poked by them. My only guess on that would have to be from screwing around and not paying attention to your bass. The release clip does stick out about a half inch but I've never even had to think about it, its never been in my way. I have heard some people say its let go on them but my guess would be that's due to improper installation. As long as you put the strap part of the lock on your strap with the gap where the pin slides in pointing towards your face it should never let go, ever. I remember thinking when I bought them that they were expensive but in 8 years I've never had it slip on me and I have no intention of trusting my gear to any other locks.

As far as strings, if your looking for a fat warm sound stay away from steels. Your going to want nickles or coated strings. The warmest steel I've ever used are Dean Markley Blue Steels. I do highly recommend them for people who want a slightly warmer steel sound but they are not as warm as nickles. ProSteels are probably the brightest steel string I've used. They are fairly balanced in tone but I will never call them fat or warm.
  9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Whenever I pick up a new bass, the first thing I do is install a set of Schaller straplocks matching the hardware and a nice, wide Levy's leather strap.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Dual Design.

They really only make one attachment mechanism. The only difference between them is the colors and the strap buttons (flush, dual design, and the other one they make). The side that attaches to the strap is the same for all of them.
  11. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Never tried Schallers and never ever had a problem with Dunlops.
  12. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I've always had the Dunlop Dual Designs since my Carvins were built with them in the mid-90's. Never used Schaller's - I don't particularly care for their design.

Currently use light steel Lo-Riders.
  13. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    If you don't use Dunlop locks you're crazy. Forget your strap one time with any others and you'll know why.

By the way, Sadowsky's ship with them unless you ask for something else.

D'Adarrio Prosteels. I've tried them all in 25 years. tone, life and price.
  14. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Schaller uses a pin that's almost identical to a normal pin. If I forgot my strap I can just borrow any regular strap without issue. I don't see a problem.
  15. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

So do the Dunlop Dual Design locks.
  16. Mtnman

Mtnman

Dunlop Dual Design. They go on every bass I own. I have a few that are almost 20 years old with ZERO failures. Never had a problem.
    fourstringgirl likes this.
  17. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I'm another member of the "never had a problem with Dunlop's" club.

As for strings, I've really been digging GHS Bass Boomers lately.
  18. carl h.

carl h.

Schaller on all my basses. No problems, ever.
  19. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I tried Schaller's once a long time ago, and also tried Dunlop's. I ended up sticking with Dunlop (no idea why I did). Either way you'll be fine - just pick one and stick with it, so you can use one strap with all of your gear easily, would be my recommendation.
  20. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Never trusted straplocks, I've always used Grolsch washers or now Fender strapblocks, simple, cheap, safe

[​IMG]
  21. Lownote38

Lownote38

We think alike! Those are the first two things I do as well. I have a set of Schaller strap locks that are from 1989 that still work perfectly. They need to be cleaned every once in a while (or they start to squeak a bit), but I've never had one come undone (because I really tighten them down on the strap portion), or poke me. The new Schallers come with a set of extra long screws for the strap button as well. Before they did, a toothpick with wood glue on it placed in the strap button hole kept everything in place unless I wanted to unscrew it.