Straptight Locks - goodbye ol' traditional straplocks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IncX, Jan 30, 2014.

1. IncX

IncX

it's basically a plastic that clips on and off your strap pins

based on the videos, it sure looks a lot better than those crappy warwick straplocks (where the nut and washer comes off after 2 gigs) ... i am not sure if they are better than the 'ol Dunlops.

what do you guys think?
  2. DanGouge

DanGouge

Warwick straplocks (at least some of them) *are* Dunlops.
  3. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

My Warwick straplocks aren't dunlops - might be the same OEM, and there is limited cross compatibility, but different design top to bottom.
  4. line6man

line6man

Those are silly. I'll take proper straplocks over bread bag ties any day.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I use the gaskets from grolsch beer bottles. Easily replaceable, and simple to put on and take off. Also? Cheap.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

They're $8.00 a pack plus shipping. They look like what I get to seal a loaf or bread with for free and took them 7 months to develop and test this???? Not exactly MIT grads are they?

For less than that I can buy a pair of chrome elliptical endpins that look classy and work just fine. How many of you swing your bass around your head with just one end of the strap holding it. :eyebrow:

Yep, I thought so.
  8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Yep, it's a bread tie.
  9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

...and most importantly: A set comes with a free pair of Grolsch beers!
  10. MrTaff

MrTaff

We don't seem to get grolsch around here so I just use the Fender version, cheap & safer than straplocks.
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'll stick with my Dunlops.
  12. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Every damn thread about straplocks: "so and so straplock sucks, it came loose"

Do you people never check your gear?
  13. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Give me a couple of bottles of Grolsch any day!
  14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Dunlops never come off for me and if a Schaller comes loose it is because the player doesn't check his/her gear. Not rocket science.
  15. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

+1 Every straplock that ever came loose on me was my own damn fault. It's called proper installation and periodic maintenance peeps.

As to the OP? They may be somewhat sturdy, but they look like dog but. No thanks, I think ill pass.
  16. IncX

IncX

i have to laugh in one of their videos where it took forever for them to show the product. it had a really long intro, and then they suddenly show them bread ties. it was so anticlimactic.

it would be cool to have those in an emergency ... but seriously $8?!
  17. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

Especially when you can pick up a pair of Dunlop lok straps for $5.
  18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Try these. About .80 cents for two of them at a hardware store. Neoprene washers. Just make sure the center hole is smaller than the widest part of the strap button (they make various sizes). I've been using them for years. Sold all my Schallers and have these on every instrument I own.

Just put the strap on, then add the neoprene washer on top of the strap. Stretches on and off easily if needed, and immediately retains it's original shape. These things are great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If you want a no worries way to keep your strap in place, get a couple 1/2" dia lag screws about 1.5" long and 4 fender washers that will fit on your lag screws.

Slide a fender washer on the bolt, put your strap on the bolt and push it against the fender washer. Put another fender washer on the lag bolt and push it against the strap, making a strap sandwich. Take off your existing strap button and run the lag bolt into the strap button screw hole. Fill any cracks that might appear with white glue. Repeat for the other end of the strap.

Sure it will look like crap, but it solves every problem ever associated with straps coming off or strap locks coming loose and/or failing.

Or you could do a little periodic maintenance on your bass to catch loose fasteners before they fall off.
  20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Well, but that's not an insignificant difference.

My experience is the same: I've had Dunlop Straplocks on one of my basses for ~24 years and have never had to do anything to it, never even needed to look at it, it just works fine. Whereas I had Schaller Straplocks on another bass and I had to tighten the nuts up every couple weeks or else they'd start to come off the strap.

I shouldn't have to check my gear when there's a viable alternative that doesn't require checking.
  21. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

My vote goes for the free beer locks!