1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

'Strat-O-Bass' custom build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kiwi_Rik, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

For a while now, I have been wanting to build a custom bass, with a blend of Jaguar and Jazz bass. I had a bunch of Fender Jaguar parts left over from modding my Squier, so I splashed out on a $145 Jazz copy and proceeded to hack it up :)

As I bought it....

[​IMG]

First job was to thin down the neck, as it felt like a baseball bat. I spent an hour or so sanding until I had 2-3mm taken off it. I also re-shaped the headstock, as it had an ugly point to it.

After reshaping and clear coating the neck, I added my tongue-in-check Fender Strat-O-Bass decal which I created in Illustrator.

[​IMG]

The next job was to replace the electrics. I had bought a brand new set of ABT pups and pre-amp from a custom shop Washburn project. This was a 2 stage job, firstly cutting out the cavities for the pre-amp, switches and battery, and secondly, wiring the whole mess up.

I created the cavities using a drill and chisel, since I don't own a router. Using Illustrator again, I created a new pickguard layout, which is a blend of the original Jazz PG and the Jaguar one. This I had laser cut, and I bevelled it using a dremel mounted in my vice. I wont go into detail over the electrics, but I had to lose the mid EQ channel and wire in the extra switches etc etc.

[​IMG]

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results, and the whole thing owes me less than $300. It actually plays pretty nice too.

Oh...the maple fretboard originally had dot inlays. I added the black pearl inlay decals as I like that look. Easily removed.

[​IMG]
  2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Wow! Very well done!
  3. aquamentus

aquamentus

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Not what I was expecting when you said "Strat-o-bass", but it's very well done. :)
    Kind of what I wanted to do to the VM Jag5 I had for a bit.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I was expecting something like this ...

[​IMG]
  6. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

LOL, nice mod. Not the first Strat I've seen turned into a bass though. I've often thought of doing that with an SG body to make a 5 string. Maybe for the next project.....:)
  7. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

I originally wanted to do a 5 string Jaguar, but then the bastards at Fender released the Squier one! No fun if isn't going to be a one-off :D
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Nice modded bass
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84

Does it come in long scale? :D
  10. UK Philip

UK Philip

where's the strat part?
  11. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

That is cool. I'd love to hear how that thing sounded with those pickups.
  12. grrg63

grrg63

Looks more like a jag than a strat. Didnt John K or somebody make an incredible Stratobass a couple years ago?
  13. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

14. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

The name is a nod to all the old 60's 'Stratosphere' styled items. Think 'Jetsons' :)
  15. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

This is great! Looks awesome man. #jealousofthoseskills