1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

'Strat-O-Bass' custom build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kiwi_Rik, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

For a while now, I have been wanting to build a custom bass, with a blend of Jaguar and Jazz bass. I had a bunch of Fender Jaguar parts left over from modding my Squier, so I splashed out on a $145 Jazz copy and proceeded to hack it up :)

As I bought it....

[​IMG]

First job was to thin down the neck, as it felt like a baseball bat. I spent an hour or so sanding until I had 2-3mm taken off it. I also re-shaped the headstock, as it had an ugly point to it.

After reshaping and clear coating the neck, I added my tongue-in-check Fender Strat-O-Bass decal which I created in Illustrator.

[​IMG]

The next job was to replace the electrics. I had bought a brand new set of ABT pups and pre-amp from a custom shop Washburn project. This was a 2 stage job, firstly cutting out the cavities for the pre-amp, switches and battery, and secondly, wiring the whole mess up.

I created the cavities using a drill and chisel, since I don't own a router. Using Illustrator again, I created a new pickguard layout, which is a blend of the original Jazz PG and the Jaguar one. This I had laser cut, and I bevelled it using a dremel mounted in my vice. I wont go into detail over the electrics, but I had to lose the mid EQ channel and wire in the extra switches etc etc.

[​IMG]

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results, and the whole thing owes me less than $300. It actually plays pretty nice too.

Oh...the maple fretboard originally had dot inlays. I added the black pearl inlay decals as I like that look. Easily removed.

[​IMG]

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Wow! Very well done!

3. aquamentus

aquamentus Supporting Member

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Not what I was expecting when you said "Strat-o-bass", but it's very well done. :)
    Kind of what I wanted to do to the VM Jag5 I had for a bit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I was expecting something like this ...

[​IMG]

7. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

LOL, nice mod. Not the first Strat I've seen turned into a bass though. I've often thought of doing that with an SG body to make a 5 string. Maybe for the next project.....:)

8. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

I originally wanted to do a 5 string Jaguar, but then the bastards at Fender released the Squier one! No fun if isn't going to be a one-off :D

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Nice modded bass

10. awilkie84

awilkie84

Does it come in long scale? :D

11. UK Philip

UK Philip

where's the strat part?

12. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

That is cool. I'd love to hear how that thing sounded with those pickups.

13. grrg63

grrg63

Media:
    Looks more like a jag than a strat. Didnt John K or somebody make an incredible Stratobass a couple years ago?

14. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

15. Kiwi_Rik

Kiwi_Rik

The name is a nod to all the old 60's 'Stratosphere' styled items. Think 'Jetsons' :)

16. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

This is great! Looks awesome man. #jealousofthoseskills