Strat pots in precision bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 30yobass, Jan 9, 2014.

1. 30yobass

30yobass

Hi amigos,

My 78 precision doesn´t have original pots and I´ve seen a couple of stratocaster 250k and (I have no clue about electronics) I don´t know why they shouldn´t work on my precision.

So could any of you tell me if I´m wrong? ...and... how con you tell tone from volume?, or it doesn´t matter?

Thanks!

2. line6man

line6man

There is no difference between pots used in guitars and basses. It used to be that every instrument coming out of the Fender factory had pots from the same parts bin.

There is no difference between "volume pots" and "tone pots." It is common for aftermarket modders to use different tapers for each, but 95% of Strats and P basses are going to come stock with audio tapers.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Strats have split shaft pots for the plastic knobs and P Basses usually have solid shaft knobs for the metal barrel knobs. The Strat type pots will work fine electronically, but if your bass has the metal knobs, it's better to use a solid shaft pot (250k) in a P Bass.

4. line6man

line6man

Split shaft pots work fine with set screw knobs. Split shaft pots can also be converted to solid shaft pots with brass sleeves.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 30yobass

30yobass

Thanks a lot guys.