Streamer Stage 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has had experience with the warwick streamer stage 2. I have been interested in a warwick 5 string for awhile and its price tag made me curious as to what is so special about it. I realize it has the afzelia body and its neck through and everything but is there really anything about it that puts it over $5000? The videos I have checked out do sound great and all but I would just love to hear some thoughts from anyone who has played one before. Thanks, Mike
  2. Li'l D

Li'l D

I love mine
    I own and play many Streamers
    Both Stage 1 & Stage 2 are great
    It's almost like one is p bass & one is a jazz

The Stage 2 is a very amazing sounding bass
    If you can obtain one. GO for it!
    I own a few Streamers. My Stage 2 Is my fav

I have a 2000 model
    Fast neck and slightly thinner then my Stage 1
    The woods they used have a very good tone
    I found it easy to dial in any mix and any style of music
  3. Li'l D

Li'l D

There are a few that pop up on Ebay
    I don't see many for sale, owners know the own a gem
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Are they really that much?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Musicman1901

Yeah they are like 5200$ brand new. I mean I get its high quality construction and woods but thats just so over the top. I didn't pay that much for my Wal.
  7. Musicman1901

What are the electronics/pickups like? I have heard of people swapping out the MEC's for seymour duncan's which I found a little odd. If I pay that much I hope the pickups are top tier. I have active MEC pickups in my warwick. Are the pickups in the stage 2 the same as the other active mec pickups in most warwicks?
  8. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

buy used. warwicks take a huge hit on the used market. they don't come up a lot, but you can get a used SSII five string for around or under $2000 if you keep your eyes open.

they've come with different pickups over the years. I've seen them with the active MEC's, with EMGs, and Duncan pickups. the sound is warm and middy but with a very quick attack. I described my old four string as sounding like a cross between a great jazz bass and a machine gun.

and the active MECs sounded fine. there's nothing wrong with those pickups.
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Hmmm....for 5k+, Wal 5?
  10. Musicman1901

I would love to have a Wal 5 but brand new they are way out of my price range. I was hoping to spend under 3K. Used obviously. I know for quite a long period warwicks were being made with the chunkier necks. So I would have to be picky buying a used as I would prefer the newer style neck. I believe the real old ones had the slimmer neck as well. The 5 string SSII and the Thumb NT 5 are similar in price. Is the only difference between these basses the body wood and the pickup placement? I have never gotten a chance to play either of them as I don't live near any shops that carry much high end bass gear. Thanks for the input so far everybody!
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The body shape & size is very different as well. A Thumb is tiny...
  12. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

My Streamer Stage II is my main go to bass. You would have to get your hands on one and see what the buzz is all about. Used is a great suggestion they do pop up time to time. Mine is a 2004 pre 2002 back to mid-90s or so were the “baseball bat neck” years. Neck trough 7 piece laminated neck superb fretwork and hidden neck through in the body section is just amazing to look at. Just a stunning instrument in every way.

I replaced the MEC jazz pups with EMG stacked singles and preamp with a Seymour Duncan 3 band and for me it’s perfect. Really didn’t change the sound or tone just added some meat and lows and less abrasive top end. My favorite all time bass and I have owned many and still do.

I keep buying other great basses Modulus, Lakland 55-94, Mike Lull, Pedulla, FBass, MusicMan Rays and other Warwicks, many Spectors and they are all great incredible instruments but my SSII is home. It's so hard to put it down..:)

Attached Files:

13. Musicman1901

Thats a beautiful bass in the picture. So 2003-present I should be safe with the slimmer neck? Did replacing the pickups and preamp make a big difference or no? I have just heard about alot of ppl replacing the MEC pickups. Just curious what it is about them that urge ppl to swamp them out
  14. JP Morin

JP Morin

I wont swap the MEC pickup from mine... they are part of the warwick sound IMO... They are not the most transparent but they are phat sounding... You will bury me with that bass. I hown a '88 one... pretty vintage for a warwick.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=374695&stc=1&d=1384492318

SSII tend to have a slimmer neck than other warwicks in general. I can agree from the other Warwick I've owned, but from 2010 they are slimmer than the years before. I thought the baseball bat era was from around 2000 to 2010 ?? Very thin C shape before 1992, then they get more substancial and then in 2000 they got big D neck shape.

You can see on my bass that the pus were changed at some time.. I these years EMGs were + or - standard. One of the prevuious owner put MECs + a 3 way MEC pre, the same config as on a thumb and plugged a hole. (may be the top knob was interfering with his picking hand playing ??)

Attached Files:

15. millsbass5

millsbass5

Now if I were in the market for a Streamer (or, any other Warwick, for that matter), that's the era I'd shoot for. Whew! Talk about hard to come by, it's the earlier ones.
  16. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

I have a SSII 4 string made in 1997. Thin neck and a very unique sound. Probably the most versatile Warwick as you can get a jazz tone, an amazing P bass type tone, and even a thumb tone from it.
  17. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

2003 should be a thinner than previous baseball necks of pre 2002 yes. My experience have been that neck through German Warwicks are slightly thicker in general than post 2002 bolt on. This is good I believe ultra thin necks are not as stable in some cases and super thin necks do not sound as beef and good to my ears in every comparison I have had the chance to hear.

As JP says he loves his MEC and I believe that 100% MEC are amazing high quality pups don't pre plan on changing anything you just might love em...
  18. Daywalker

Daywalker

The Streamer Stage II 5 has been my dream bass for years, I managed to get one brand new from GC for like $2600 but this was 6-7 years ago. I've bought, sold, traded, a ton of gear, but I've never once thought about allowing my SSII5 out of my possession. Look for one used, it won't disappoint...

[​IMG]
  19. Musicman1901

Thanks for the tips everybody. I think i'm gonna start hunting for a used one!
  20. brandau

brandau Supporting Member

Mine was a boat anchor at over 12 pounds. I eventually sold it.
  21. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

I´ve tried and owned several WW before and my SS II is still my favourite. Comfortable, fast neck, huge tonal variety, lots of output.
    However, I´d never pay 5K for a new one. Used ones is the way to go (they´re usually in the $2000 - $2500 range)