1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strin

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dedock5, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Dedock5

Dedock5

Hey everyone,
    I am currently joining a band and have had a history of joining bands with 8 string guitar players that detune to very low tunings such as drop G all the way down to E (our standard E frequency :eek: ).

Well I am done trying to use really outrageously thick strings :spit: (.166 to .180 [haven't done .180 yet, not sacrificing my nut spacing]) to get down there and be an octave lower for those guys and have difficulty getting a good tone and clarity. Currently tuning down to drop F. :rollno: So I want to tune my 5 string Warwick corvette rockbass up instead of dropping it down. Starting with my E/A/D/G strings to F/C/F/Bb therefore leaving my low B string alone OR bringing it up to C. So in all, I am looking at tuning up my bass C/F/C/F/Bb. :eyebrow: Odd, I know.

NOW, I am in the trouble of finding the proper GAUGE for these tunings on my 34" scale bass. :help: They have to be light to handle the tension of tuning up above standard B up to C and standard E to F (a half step) and the last of the strings (ADG) to a whole step and a half (CFBb). So, I have found Circle K strings to be a good supplier BUT I have had trouble getting into contact with them for a couple days (might be due to NAMM which is any day now) so I can't say I have confidently found or know the proper gauge strings for this up-tuning. I'm guessing a gauge set around .118/.90/.67/.49/.35 but not confident and assured.

Much help would be appreciate and thanks in advance. :hyper:
    (please don't humor me with "Use Capo" or suggestions on drop tuning to F. Avoid suggesting involving staying in Standard E. I know how to do all that, I wish to try this please, thank you.) :ninja:

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Are you wanting a single set that can switch between BEADG and CFCFBb?

If you like Circle K's, your best bet is to piece together a set that would have relatively balanced tension when tuned when tuned to BEBEA. The A,D,G-strings would be a little light when tuned in standard, but still comfortable to play on as usual.

3. Jensby design

Jensby design

I'm a little confused :confused: You have the opportunity to tune a full octave below standard and you don't want to do it :confused:
    I've tuned lower than that in Church (D0 with a .182).
    Anyway.
    to the helpful part of the post http://youtu.be/Yic7IRO9d6I
    Depending on tension preference:
    .130 .098 .067 .051 .037
    .124 .094 .065 .049 .035
    .118 .090 .063 .047 .033
    I would suggest the middle one.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    As he said, he's having trouble getting a usable tone out of it. In a metal band, I can definitely see that happening. I believe that the bassist for Meshuggah tunes up a half step to play in the 8-string guitars' octaves.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jensby design

Jensby design

Fair enough. I'm a luthier so when I want to do something I just make it happen, and I design my own effects.
    I'm also open-minded, so if taking a string off my bass to accommodate really outrageously thick strings :spit: is what it takes,
    I do it.
    Tuning E0 E1 B0 B1 might take a little getting use to but by playing the two together on the chord changes and staying with the rhythm on the higher string your bass will sound like a freakin monster, I know I've done it.
    Using a 31-band eq doesn't hurt the tone of a sub-bass :meh: actually I,d say it makes it more manageable.
    Tuning that is not for everyone, I know, I can only think of 8 guys that tune lower that I do.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    I tuned E0 A0 E1 A1 before. It was kind of cool, actually, but would have been more useful to me in a detuned 8-string, Tosin Abasi situation.

I still keep a C#0 on my Schecter and an F#0 on my custom 8, though, just in case. :bassist:

8. Jensby design

Jensby design