1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strin

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dedock5, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Dedock5

Dedock5

Hey everyone,
    I am currently joining a band and have had a history of joining bands with 8 string guitar players that detune to very low tunings such as drop G all the way down to E (our standard E frequency :eek: ).

Well I am done trying to use really outrageously thick strings :spit: (.166 to .180 [haven't done .180 yet, not sacrificing my nut spacing]) to get down there and be an octave lower for those guys and have difficulty getting a good tone and clarity. Currently tuning down to drop F. :rollno: So I want to tune my 5 string Warwick corvette rockbass up instead of dropping it down. Starting with my E/A/D/G strings to F/C/F/Bb therefore leaving my low B string alone OR bringing it up to C. So in all, I am looking at tuning up my bass C/F/C/F/Bb. :eyebrow: Odd, I know.

NOW, I am in the trouble of finding the proper GAUGE for these tunings on my 34" scale bass. :help: They have to be light to handle the tension of tuning up above standard B up to C and standard E to F (a half step) and the last of the strings (ADG) to a whole step and a half (CFBb). So, I have found Circle K strings to be a good supplier BUT I have had trouble getting into contact with them for a couple days (might be due to NAMM which is any day now) so I can't say I have confidently found or know the proper gauge strings for this up-tuning. I'm guessing a gauge set around .118/.90/.67/.49/.35 but not confident and assured.

Much help would be appreciate and thanks in advance. :hyper:
    (please don't humor me with "Use Capo" or suggestions on drop tuning to F. Avoid suggesting involving staying in Standard E. I know how to do all that, I wish to try this please, thank you.) :ninja:
  2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Are you wanting a single set that can switch between BEADG and CFCFBb?

If you like Circle K's, your best bet is to piece together a set that would have relatively balanced tension when tuned when tuned to BEBEA. The A,D,G-strings would be a little light when tuned in standard, but still comfortable to play on as usual.
  3. Jensby design

Jensby design

I'm a little confused :confused: You have the opportunity to tune a full octave below standard and you don't want to do it :confused:
    I've tuned lower than that in Church (D0 with a .182).
    Anyway.
    to the helpful part of the post http://youtu.be/Yic7IRO9d6I
    Depending on tension preference:
    .130 .098 .067 .051 .037
    .124 .094 .065 .049 .035
    .118 .090 .063 .047 .033
    I would suggest the middle one.
  4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    As he said, he's having trouble getting a usable tone out of it. In a metal band, I can definitely see that happening. I believe that the bassist for Meshuggah tunes up a half step to play in the 8-string guitars' octaves.
  5. Jensby design

Jensby design

Fair enough. I'm a luthier so when I want to do something I just make it happen, and I design my own effects.
    I'm also open-minded, so if taking a string off my bass to accommodate really outrageously thick strings :spit: is what it takes,
    I do it.
    Tuning E0 E1 B0 B1 might take a little getting use to but by playing the two together on the chord changes and staying with the rhythm on the higher string your bass will sound like a freakin monster, I know I've done it.
    Using a 31-band eq doesn't hurt the tone of a sub-bass :meh: actually I,d say it makes it more manageable.
    Tuning that is not for everyone, I know, I can only think of 8 guys that tune lower that I do.
  6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    I tuned E0 A0 E1 A1 before. It was kind of cool, actually, but would have been more useful to me in a detuned 8-string, Tosin Abasi situation.

I still keep a C#0 on my Schecter and an F#0 on my custom 8, though, just in case. :bassist:
  7. Jensby design

Jensby design