1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String buzz beyond the nut...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

The A on my new SX likes to buzz after the nut, especially playing it open. Is the problem a loose nut slot or something else? Im not greatly concerned, its just annoying. I was thinking of weaving a strip of rubber or the like thru the strings up there and calling it a day. :D

2. Attackofmike

Attackofmike

Is the string wound correctly on the tuner's post? It should be wound downwards towards the bottom so that there is a nice break angle on the nut.

3. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Yeah its wound downward and not coiled on itself. The tuner posts on the SX are a little taller then I have seen. But the break angle appears normal.

4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

The string should wrap around all the way down to the Metal Bushing especially on the A string.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Does it buzz through the amp?

7. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

No buzz through the amp. I don't think the string has enough coil to make it down to the bushing. Like I said these posts are rather tall and I usually cut my strings so they only wrap about 3 times.

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Start cutting them longer you won't regret it. You can probably make it better by Shortening the 90 Degree bend to about 1/4". Then hold downward pressure while wind the string.

9. Attackofmike

Attackofmike

+1 this should work :) . It would help if you posted a picture too

10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I had the exact same problem with my SX Ursa 2 that I got last week. Any time I hit the open A, the whole thing would just rattle.

I added a Hipshot 3 string retainer. The buzz is gone. It's a $12 part. Do it, and the problem is fixed.
    [​IMG]

11. Vincent P

Vincent P

Pinch or press down on the string before the nut while plucking/playing; if this cures the issue, then you need to wrap the string correctly so as to apply a bit more downward force on it.

12. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Putting my finger on it cures it. I am going to take some out of the post hole and try to drop it down some hopefully that works. I should have left more to wind. I looked at the tuner posts and they looked awfully tall. Now I know!

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I tried the tuner wrap trick on mine but it just wasn't enough. Besides, are you gonna press down behind the nut every time you play an open A?

Just add the retainer. It's a two minute job.

14. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I think thats what I'm gonna have to do. I got it to buzz less by taking some out of the post hole. But its still buzzing and it did it with the factory strings too. The posts are just too high.