String buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mldavis, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mldavis

mldavis

Hi guys,

I recently bought a MIM 70s Fender Jazz bass second hand, which I've recently set up, but when playing certain notes, I get a bit of string buzz.

I'm pretty new to the bass, so this may well be normal, but thought I'd post for your guys' advice.

The neck relief is as it should be, and the neck is nice and straight, and the strings on it are 45-105 Ernie Balls, and the the action is 2.8mm on bass, and 2.4mm on the treble side at the 17th.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Alexio58

Alexio58

It's how much you mind it, if the notes are correcctly intonated thought the buzz, it's allowed. If you want no buzz at all you should raise the action or play softer.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Your setup certainly sounds like it's correct. Is the buzz noticeable when amplified? Sometimes the buzz you hear unplugged goes away when amplified.
  4. mldavis

mldavis

It's not noticable when it's plugged into the amp. It's most probably me just being fussy!

Would a lower guage string help do you think?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Please clarify: is the neck (fretboard) straight or is there some relief and, if so, how much?

Riis
  7. mldavis

mldavis

Yes the neck is straight, with approx 0.35mm of relief.
  8. pfox14

pfox14

An awful lot of basses buzz when unplugged. That's just par for the course. If it disappears when amplified, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

The numbers look right, anyway.

Riis
  10. mldavis

mldavis

Thanks guys for the advice.

Think it's just me being over-critical. It's plays great and it can't be noticed when plugged in so not too bothered. Just wanted to know if this was the norm for basses as I've been played guitar for a good few years and only been playing bass around 6 months.

Thanks
    Martin