1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String Change Question! (Tension, Action)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JoshSmith, Mar 17, 2014.

1. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Hey guys so I have a huge question that would help me out a lot. I just got DR Drop Down strings. They are .55, .75, .95, .115 and I used to have strings that were .55, .75, .90, .110. I play in drop C and I was wondering if this different action will affect my neck a lot, like the bow in it. My action is very high on the Low C string (low E in standard) could I just lower the action on that and I'll be good? Please help! Thanks.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Are you talking about bridge saddle height? That isn't "action".

3. Precision101

Precision101

Since you have a higher tension string the string will bring more of a bow to the neck. It's a truss adjustment. Add less relief

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Full setup routine required, in correct sequence beginning with checking nut slots (for best playability but you can attend to it later if need be), relief, action then intonation.

If you are unable to do it yourself, you can just lower the saddles for now. The neck will be fine in the interim and if the truss rid is working correctly, there will be no long term adverse effects. It likely won't be a joy to play though like it could be if a real setup is done.

5. Register to disable this ad