1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String Choice - Can't Make Up My Mind !

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Feb 11, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I've been in search of the "perfect string" for my Ibanez SRX300. I've narrowed my search down to D'Addario ProSteels and Ernie Ball Power Slinkys, tuned BEAD. I put on the Ernie Ball's after a year of not playing them (they previously only had a few hours of play on them) and I was surprised at how good they sounded, even after laying in the case for a while. The Ernie Ball's seemed to have a good tone too them even though they were old and I like their sound out of the box as well.

On a recommendation from Jason at BSO, I picked up a set of ProSteels. I advised him that I'm playing heavier stuff like Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie so a more aggressive string like a ProSteel seemed like a good choice. I like the ProSteel sound but I'm getting a little more finger noise and a tad bit more "zing" out of it, which I guess is the nature of the stainless steel.

I'm just having a tough time deciding on the two. I know tone is subjective and that string choice is as well, but am I missing out on something by going for one over the other here? I'm kinda leaning towards the Ernie Balls SLIGHTLY...am I crazy?
  2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I am not a fan of D'Addario, so I would go with the Ernie Balls. If you really want to make the decision easy, go with whichever one is cheaper.
  3. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I think Twiggy Ramirez played Ernie Ball's on at least some of his basses, but I can't say for sure. My damned OCD can't let this go...haha, guess I'll have to get another bass so I can have both!
  4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

My way of controlling the zing from stainless steel is a round core, aka the DR hi-beams.

I dislike nickel plated steel winds, I think SS reacts better to fretting.
  5. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I just played around with it some more and tuned to Drop D. The ProSteel definitly has more output behind it, but they're brand new out of the pack and the EB's have been in my case for a year. I like the feel of the EB when tuned down to D and I really can't find something I dislike about the EB's....I guess I'm gonna go that route....