String Choices for Chadwick FB

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dkimbrobass, Apr 15, 2014.

1. dkimbrobass

dkimbrobass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Acoustic Amplification, Aguilar Amplification, Hipshot Products
    Hey low end people. This may exist somewhere already here on TB, but I'm wondering about different folks' experiences with different strings on the CFB.

In my day-gig I've mixed probably 2 dozen different players traveling w/ CFBs. Bear in mind that there are obviously differences in the way these strings sound/play (duh), so what I'm looking for are issues and/or advantages that are specifically inherent to CFB installations and the constant stringing/un-stringing. I'm sure by taking the various compositions and tensions into account one could make certain assumptions about how a string or set might perform on the CFB. Anyway, here are some of their remarks/observations (I'm just assuming all these are medium tension strings):

1) Spiros: No problems. Tune up quickly and are relatively stable.

2) Evahs: Take longer to get back up to pitch and need more frequent retuning.

3) Kaplans: Similar to Evah's w/ regard to frequent retuning once up to pitch. I've heard of issues with breakage.

4) Helicore: Better tuning performance than Evahs or Kaplans, but issues with breakage.

5) Helicore Hybrids: Better all around performance than any of the above except Spiros. Slightly longer initial tuneup when compared to Spiros.

6) Zyex: Similar to Helicore Hybrids, but some breakage experienced.

7) Innovation Honey: No issues, though they're not quite as quick to tune initially as Spiros.

Anyway, anyone wanna add something? Thanks. DK

2. Kael

Kael

Re: Helicore Hybrids....

I've used Helicore Hybrids on my Chadwick since I got it about two and half to three years ago. I did need to put fresh strings on a couple months back as the wraps were getting pretty rough near the bridge on the D string and around A on the G string up near the nut for some reason. Honestly though, given that this bass is set up/torn down four to five times a week, put in a trailer and then hauled all over the country experiencing temp swings from Colorado in Feb to south Texas in August, I'm kosher with getting a two years life span out of even any string.

I generally tune up the bass three times before I consider it stable. I might need to touch up tuning at some point during the gig. Average gig is two hours.

I'd love to experiment with different more gut like strings, but I don't think that I'd get more than a few months out of them before they were trashed.

PS: New talkbass layout is strange. This is going to take some getting used to

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Nice to know!

4. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Although I don't own a Chadwick, I do have some experience taking strings on and off a bass fairly regularly. Gut/Gut-like/synthetic strings tend to fair far worse than steel core strings do. For instance tons of people love how Dominants sound but complain that they tend to break very frequently, even if they are only put on a bass once. If they go off and on a few times, they're basically ticking time bombs.

So, my two cents is to stick to steel strings. There are plenty of options, and they seem to be the most stable.

5. Register to disable this ad