String Experience with Carvin AC50 AC40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Orlando, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Just throwing out some info for any Carvin AC50 or AC40 owners. I bought a beautiful AC50 from a TB'r here and love it. Didn't love the black nylon LaBella's. Didn't want an upright bass tone. I wanted something with more focus and attack for the rock covers my band sometimes plays at our occassional acoustic gigs. I didn't like the nasty sympathetic harmonics I was getting either. I would play a B on the G string and the A string would sing out all by itself as if it was plucked. Several sets of strings later I put on one of my favorites... a 5 string set of D'addarrio Chromes. This was the 45-132 set. Knowing these strings from past experience I played them for about 20 hours before deciding if they stayed on. These strings are a different animal after 20 hours or so. The sound now is very focused and depending on EQ I can go from an acoustic bass guitar sound to a focused solid body sound (dial out the mids!). The unwanted harmonics are minimal and I have since completely eliminated them using a Gruv Fretwrap. I tried some LaBella flats as well and they were equally nice but they give a bit more "thud" when broken in and I prefer the focused fundamental the Chromes provide a bit better. Don't let the bright clicky sound when first installed throw you. Play them for a while and play with the EQ and they will settle out nicely.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

You should try the white nylon tapes. Brighter than the black ones and super smooth. Perfect for a piezo only bass. That, and you can get the identical gauge as the black, which are what the bass is originally strung with. That can't be a bad thing.

3. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

I may do that. Digging these flatwounds at the present. The gage on the Chromes isn't an issue at all. No rattle in the nut. Good intonation and action. No reason to change just yet. Thanks...