String for Musicman Stingray?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by badboy1984, May 30, 2010.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

I bought a new Stingray 4 string recently and got it setup by a pro. I usually use Rotosound Gauge 40 on my fender jazz and it soudn good, but i use the same gauge and string on my Stingray it sound really thin for some reason.

Not sure what gauge or string i should use.
  2. BrewCityLdB

BrewCityLdB

I own both a MM Sting Ray and a Fender Jazz 5 and they're two completely different animals (though I wouldn't say the Sting Ray sounds "thin" but we all have our opinions I suppose). I'd say the differences are mostly due to pickup type and placement. Not to mention that the MM has active electronics and the traditional Jazz bass is passive. A different type of string can color the tone slightly in one direction or the other but won't change a MM into a Jazz.
  3. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Check out some Dunlop nickles. I stopped using DR's after many years because of those things.
  4. HollowSound95

HollowSound95

I've played some super thin strings on my stingray, and after a lot of experimentation 45 gauge is where my heart is. I'm a DR guy but I'd play Slinkys if they lasted longer.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Put a set of Ken Smith medium gauge Rock Masters on it.
    I use them on my Stingray and my Jazz bass to great effect.
    They're cheap and sound great, I seriously doubt you'll
    be disappointed.

T
  7. badboy1984

badboy1984

i never really like the "Ernie Bal - Regular Slinky Bass Nickel" but i think i may like them now because of the 50 gauge G string.

I'm getting a very weak G string compare to my other strings and i think their is a reason why they made stupid gauge set like this .....
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

My last pre-EB 'Ray never sounded right until I put some Smith Rockmasters on it. They balanced just right for the PUP on there.

Joh
  9. smo

smo

It took me a while to realize this myself, and a few sets!
    To me - Stingers just sound better with heavy gauge roundwound strings, especially for the E and G.

But you know how a P-bass just sounds better with worn it flats and an open tone control?
    The Stinger can sound great with either rounds or flats, but I just love tone you can get with a Stinger with flats and the mids boosted a little.
  10. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    I've got my Stingray 5 strung up with D'Addario Chromes. I found the tone to be a little too nasal for my tastes when it had stainless steel roundwounds on it (DR and EB's), but the flats with a little mid boost, a little low boost, or even just flat eq are exactly the thing. :bassist:
  11. badboy1984

badboy1984

i took off the 40 gauge Rotosound Swing Bass and swing it up with D'Addario Pro Steel gauge 45 and the bass some much better straight away. Lots of low end and good punch and attack of the bass.

I guess the gauge 40 is too think for my taste on the Stingray
  12. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Sounds like even though the Stingray has the ability to get very bright most of you guys that use round wounds still prefer SS to nickel?

Just pulled an old pre EB Stingray (you know a Fender Stingray :eek:) out that has ancient Blue Steels on it (probably 10 years old) and they are still reasonably bright & punchy with the EQ maxed.

Had some Rockmasters at home but want to go through one more rehearsal with the old ones as the tone is pretty good; would have never been happy with a passive bass with dead strings like these.
  13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

I personally prefer to mellow out the tone a bit with nickel roundwounds. I like EB Hybrid Slinkys, but I usually rock D'Addario XLs in the same gauge (45-105) on my StingRay.
  14. badboy1984

badboy1984

i think is to do with the sound of the Stingray. The bass sound very high mid so heavy gauge string will make it up. The bass sounded right now with 45 D'Addario Pro Steel. I'm sure DR low rider is good for the bass as well.
  15. woody357

woody357

I play mostly R&B/Funk, and Smooth Jazz, I use a MM Bongo. I have tried a lot of different strings on that bass, but I always come back to EB Slinky. I have found, when they mellow they have a nice thump, and still gives me that bite I need when slapping.
  16. Darylw425

Darylw425

Disclosures:
    Founder: BassBrites USA
    I finally tried putting flats on my stingray, and so far i'm loving it. Super punchy, really cuts through (in a beefy, low mid kind of way), and feels great.
  17. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Right now, I have a EB Regular Slinky Bass 5 set on my SR5 (.045 to .130). They sound good. I just bought two sets of Dunlop nickels (same gauge) to try. I love the Dunlops on my Fenders.
  18. Johnius

Johnius

I use DR Lo Riders and absolutely love them. Not thin at all, and I know the sound you describe. I agree with an earlier poster about the pickup placement. Lo Riders will help take care of that.
  19. rappa29

rappa29

Currently have Slinkies (45-105) on my Classic Stingray (2EQ).

In the past I've used DR SS LoRiders, DR Nickel LoRiders, Slinkies (50-105), DaD XL (45-105) on the standard Stingray (3EQ) that I had.

Never had any tone problems with any of them. Although for simply the sake of feel, I prefer nickel over ss anymore on my basses.
  20. BassLife77

BassLife77

Rotosound BS66 for Stingrays. The .110 E string is great for thumping
  21. eyecandy

eyecandy

if u ask me.. I'd go for boomers..