1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String gauges for playing in both drop D and C on the same bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by smileykyle, Jan 21, 2014.

1. smileykyle

smileykyle

Hey guys, been reading these forums a lot for all my bass questions and have finally joined up to ask one of my own. It's kind of similar to things that have been asked in the past but haven't been able to find a straight answer so here it goes.
    The band I'm in is spending half our time playing in drop d and the other half playing in drop c. Now I've been trying to figure out what sort of gauges I could use to achieve good playability and sound using the one bass is the 2 tunings (an Epiphone Thunderbird IV).
    I've recently started using a set of Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (55-110) and finding drop D (and even D standard) is feeling/sounding great while drop c is still looser than I would like on the top string. Just feels a bit sloppy still and can't get the quick notes as clean as I'd like. As such I'm considering changing the top string to something thicker to fix this.
    My main question is would increasing the top string gauge any further to make drop c easier to play render it unplayable in drop d (due to too much tension)? If you would recommend going thicker, how much so? Or if you have any other suggestions regarding different sets, gauges or tension issues to play in the 2 tunings please share. :)
    Thanks in advance guys