1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String guage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ed_sped2, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ed_sped2

ed_sped2

Hi everyone! I am a guitarist turned bassist, and I know very little about the tricks of the trade. I played guitar for 17 years before I joined a band in Kansas City that needed a bass player. I've had a Cort Curbow laying around for ages that I've been using as a stop-gap, and I am currently in the market for a Warwick Thumb, FNA, or Fortress.

The strings that I am currently using are too heavy a gauge for my taste. I'd like to preserve some low end thump, but I'd also like a little bit of pop and snap on the high end. I figured I'd solicit input from the masters before cycling through a ton of different strings.

Any thoughts?

2. zachoff

zachoff

Love the Circle K balanced sets. I tune to D standard most of the time and use the .118 balanced sets. I have a couple E basses too and use the .112 balanced sets. It's a noticeable difference, IMO.

3. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    D'Addarios! Use the regular light gauge and you'll be happy :)

4. Kenzy

Kenzy

Definitely so! I love light gauge D'Addario ProSteels. You can get a great metallic, bright, punchy tone from them and still have that "thump" that you want in the low end. I was blown away the first time I strung my ADJ Bass with them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Yeah, ProSteels are where it's at. That or the the Nickelwound ones aren't bad either :)

7. ed_sped2

ed_sped2

I'll give these a go. I've currently got some half-rounds on my Curbow, and I hate them. They are definitely not my thing.

8. Kenzy

Kenzy

You'll get definitely get that awesome high-end pop that you're looking for. What music do you play?

9. Immigrant

Immigrant

I agree with the D'Addario recommendations. I like EXL-170s but also use 165s on one bass. Thicker E and A.

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

11. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

12. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I've always used GHS Bass Boomers, medium-light gauge, whenever possible. I like the lower tension, and these have plenty of bass response. I only bump up to a very slightly heavier gauge (medium) if I'm detuning the low E string past D or so.