String Guide Repair / Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aj2taylo, Nov 17, 2012.

1. aj2taylo

aj2taylo

I had my string guide for my bass pop out on the road; not having ideal tools, I tried repairing this, and the new screw I had broke off in the head stock. So I want my next attempt to repair this to be more successful, and not put too many more needless holes in.

1) The screw that goes into the head stock is fairly short. Is it worth putting a longer screw in, even going through the head? I'm worried this will risk cracking the head, but I want to be sure the next solution holds.

2) Is it worth trying to fill in the existing holes with plastic wood first? Or does it matter?

Thank you!
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

all you had to do in the first place was stuff some wood-glue coated toothpick slivers in the original hole, then crank the original screw right in while wet.

if that original hole is still there, do that.

wood filler (just like gorilla glue and electrical tape) has no place in guitar repair.
  3. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Be sure to release the string tension when you attempt to put that screw back in. I've seen it done wrong and it's messy.
  4. aj2taylo

aj2taylo

Thanks guys;

Regarding the toothpick slivers; there really isn't much depth or width to this hole. The Screw itself only has (at most) 1/8'' beyond the bottom of the guide, so the original hole is very tiny narrow and not deep.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Exactly why Walter's method will work.

Remember to leave the tension off the screw for twenty four hours as per Joe's advice.
  7. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

There are jillions of basses - most Fenders, but other copycats that have used that same setup for years with very few failures.

Just shove the pointed end of the wood glue (Elmer's is a good glue) toothpick into whatever hole exists and reinsert the screw with the tree as it was. Give it a few hours or a day even, and then restring the bass and see what you get.
  8. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

OP stated "the new screw I had broke off in the head stock".
    Is it still in the head stock? If so, it needs to be removed.

Tedward
  9. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Ewww - yeah. I faintly remember that comment.

That would change things a tad.
  10. walterw

did the new screw break off in the original hole or a different hole?

would putting the string tree back cover it up?
  11. aj2taylo

aj2taylo

It was a new screw that ended up breaking off (in a different location than the original hole, a centimeter or two closer to the nut.
  12. aj2taylo

aj2taylo

What about using a longer screw, going through the next to a bolt & waster on the other end? Is that completely inadvisable?
  13. walterw

there's no reason to wreck your headstock like that!

if you must, find a screw that's longer than the original but still only goes maybe 1/4" into the peghead; carefully drill the original hole deep enough to take that screw (use tape on the drill bit to know when to stop) with a bit that's a little skinnier than the threads.

a little toothpick sliver/wood glue in the upper part of the hole (just where it's stripped) and crank in the string retainer.

leave the strings off it until the next day and you'll be fine.