1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String height in relation to each other?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AndrewM, Jan 7, 2014.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

I recently had my bass setup by a shop, as I had never actually gotten a full setup and had only tweaked the action a little bit and called it "good enough". So after deciding to get a professional setup done, I took my bass home and it played perfectly, even better than before.

However, on occasion I like to tune my E down to D, and with the recent adjustments to my bass, tuning down a step is just enough to give me some buzz on certain frets. I was just going to raise the saddle on the E string a small bit, but then I started wondering if strings are supposed to stay at a certain height in relation to each other for some reason or another, and thought I should turn to TB for answers.

Thanks in advance for your time, and I'm sorry if this seems like a question with an obvious answer :p

2. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

You may have to adjust intonation or pup height, but otherwise it should be fine. So long as it feels good to you

3. AndrewM

AndrewM

Alright, that's not too big of a deal then. Action won't affect the truss rod in any way, will it? I can't imagine that it would.

4. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Well in a perfect world the bridge would be used to set intonation and match the fingerboard radius. The overall height of the string is adjusted with the truss. But in your application, a slight saddle adjustment, the truss shouldn't be effected.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Trussrod adjustment will change the distance between the strings and fingerboard, but that's only because it's adjusting the relief in the neck (the primary function of trussrod adjustment). Primary string height adjustment is performed at the bridge.

More relief may need to be added to play cleanly when tuned down. It's also possible that the frets may need a leveling as well.

A bit outside of the box: If the bass has a bolt on neck it may be useful to install a reverse shim in the neck pocket.

7. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

It appears we have found more than one way to skin this cat with excellent results.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

if everything else is fine, raising the E saddle a little to improve the drop-D sound is OK.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Don't count on excellent results if you are using the truss rod as the means to adjust string height. That's exactly the wrong thing to do, but it's a common mistake.

10. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

+1