String height, Rickenbacker 4003, Fender P, Fender J basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capcrio, Jan 16, 2014.

1. capcrio

capcrio

Hi to everyone!

Is there anyone experienced about the string height of Rickenbacker 4003, Fender P and J basses? As a character, does Rick has the highest?? I have P bass and Rick 4003 but P bass has more relief and comfort way of playing. However I'm not sure, maybe my Rick has neck problems.

Thank you!

2. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

3. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

My 2012 4003 has the second lowest action in my collection.
    It was set up by Chris at Pick of the Ricks and I requested low action so I don't know what Rickenbacker considers normal.
    But, if this helps, unlike most basses Rics are best set up with a dead straight neck - no relief. Then the bridge height can be raised or lowered to the desired string height. The frets on Ric necks are not as raised so you should be able to get the strings fairly low without buzzing.
    hope this helps.

4. electracoyote

electracoyote

IME, I have typically been able to remove more relief and achieve lower action with my Ricks. I can get there with the Fenders, but it takes more precise adjustments and touch ups to the frets and nut slots.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

Any (working) bass can be set up with low action if you want. I've never found a Ric or Fender that I couldn't set up basically the same way unless something was wrong with the neck or its angle relative to the body.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I have a Ric and a P. For the time being, the Ric's action is lower. I haven't adjusted the P for awhile, so I suppose its action could end up about the same as the Ric. The Ric is marginally easier to adjust.

8. capcrio

capcrio

Thanks for everyone. When I lower the string in Rick, E string at 5th fret starts buzzling. Actually the guitar was better when I bought it. I replaced the strings later with Thomastik Infeld. Also I feel that the string tension has also increased. Strings were softer in the original condition. May Thomastiks have changed the neck condition?

9. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Yes, changing string brands will require a new setup for those strings. Go read the link I posted earlier - it will tell you everything you need to know about setting up the Rick correctly for low action and no fret buzz.

10. capcrio

capcrio

yes I will, thank you!