String Height?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by munkeyfish, Feb 20, 2013.

1. munkeyfish

munkeyfish

Maybe wrong forum, but I was wondering how you guys like your sting height? I've run into a couple guys lately that are like a lot of guitar players I know, They love it super low. So it got me wondering how do you guys like it?

And what of you slappers? How do you prefer yours?
  2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I like it super low as well. I don't slap, so I don't need my strings to be six inches off the fretboard. I try to get them as low as possible with hitting the pickups and buzzing.
  3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Yep. I usually play around with my setup until I can play both lightly and moderately-hard without notes choking out or strings buzzing all over the place. I forget the exact measurement, but I think my strings are usually 1-1.5mm from the bottom of the string to the top of the 12th fret.
  4. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    I also like mine really low, but I'm not sure what the measurements are...never do them...picky enough about that! :rolleyes: I know that I get the strings as low as possible, riiiiight when they get to the point when you can only hear, live/amplified, enough buzz to give character, but not so much that the notes die or fart out from rattling/buzzing. I have a moderately hard attack, but I've learned to control it, so the notes have no problem sustaining with a really comfy action.

If you're curious about what I think is "good buzz", check this out:
    (actual master track)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

LOL! That's the type of buzzing I try to avoid. It's all about the song, and in the band I play in this would not sound good. In the context of that Pantera song, and with that nice distortion, it sounds amazing!
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

High enough so I don't get any buzz when playing normally, but low enough for me to get some when I dig in.
  8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    My basses all buzz acoustically, but you can't hear it through the amp. That's the way I was taught to do it. I suck at slapping, but I don't think someone who slaps would have a problem playing any of my basses.
  9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Super low with some nice musical string rattle.
  10. johnson79

johnson79

I like mine pretty low. A little clank doesn't bother me at all.
  11. zachoff

zachoff

On the high side. I play with a pick and I dig in pretty hard... I try to minimize the fret buzz & increase the sustain.
  12. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I like my action around "medium". For my p bass about 2.5mm., give or take above the 12th fret.
  13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Mine is different for each bass, but I try to get each one as low as possible without major fret buzz. A little is ok but if it's choking the note it has to come up.
  14. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

15. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Looking at my current setup, which is the first time I've done this bass myself, the action is about 2-3mm from the fretboard at the 24th fret. To me, even this seems a bit high & I'd like to take it lower but the saddles on the bridge don't allow for it.
  16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I prefer my action low and filed my nut down to keep it low and avoid buzzing.
  17. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I like my action as low as possible without fretbuzz.
  18. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Medium rare - no fret buzzing please
    I've got plenty o' ways to add some funk without the metal to metal grind
  19. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Not a real low kinda guy. Fender spec, 4 to 6/64 at fret 17.
  20. gary19702

gary19702

I tend to have it low, a little buzz, I taught myself entwistle's right hand technique year and years ago (typewriter style approach, close to or over the last few frets) so it lends itself to that style of right hand attack, plus when finger plucked near the bridge it still produces a smooth even tone and feel without over stressing my left hand. This way both of my hands are stress free and I could go for hours on end without getting worn out. Whatever works an feels right for any specific individual is the way one should play :)
  21. munkeyfish

munkeyfish

This is how I feel about it too. But it still nice to hear every ones take on it. Gives you ideas.