1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String help for my Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Katobaron, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Katobaron

Katobaron

I'm playing a Geddy Lee Signature Fender Jazz and because I'm in a few bands (of very differing genres), my tuning fluctuates between standard and Drop C. To compensate for the floppy C I wanted to string the bass with DDT Drop Tuning strings (115-95-75-55) and change tunings on a fairly regular basis (a few times a week). I don't have the money for a new bass and I really don't want to hurt the jazz as it's the best bass I've owned so far. Would the higher tension strings ruin the neck when tuned up to EADG?
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    What are you tuning to the majority of the time?
  3. Katobaron

Katobaron

It depends on who I play with the most based on scheduling but usually standard. I would keep it in standard and just suck it up with the loose C but the heavier drop tuned band is about a week away from playing shows and I want to be able to have a clean live sound.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    So it sounds like you are the majority of the time in EADG standard and then go down to CADG?

If this is the case, I would just go with a set that looks like .115 .085 .065 .045, you can put together more balanced options but if you are a traditional 45-105 player this will suit you well.

.115 will work and be solid for E tuning, and still function well as a CADG set.
  5. Katobaron

Katobaron

Usually down to CGCF but the C is the only one giving me trouble. Just don't want to harm the bass I'm currently financing on minimum wage retail pay haha. Thank you!
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    There are things you can do to help spread that minimum wage dollah ;)

CGCF then you can do a .090 .070 .050 w/ the .115 but I would do .085 .065 .050 to help smoothen out the tension... DDT's the .045 .065 .085 will work down a whole step just fine though...
  7. ixlramp

ixlramp

^ Yeah the top 3 strings of that DDT set will be dangerously tight in standard, you need a custom set of single strings with a .110 or .115 for E/C, just tight enough for good tone in C but not too tight in E. I suggest 110/115 80 60 45.
    EDIT http://www.bassstringsonline.com/ is an excellent place to build a custom set.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    ^
    (FWIW / DDT's are available as singles so you can make the above set using DDT's)