string help rickenbacker 4003... I always mess up with the A and E.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Presto2112, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Presto2112

Presto2112

Hey guys, I've been messing up alot putting strings on my 4003 and my nut popped out for the 2nd time in a row because of me... Hey I've been used to a steinberger for 3 years. Currently my ric is upstairs no nut, and 2 strings that are put on wrong, some of the string is going over the tuning peg... I honestly have no idea how but... anyone else hate putting strings on a ric? I'm seriously considersing selling it so I can get a Geddy bass. I'm starting to hate my ric because of my errors.
  2. Presto2112

Presto2112

*considering
  3. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Sounds to me like your strings are the wrong scale if some of the metal is around the peg. Best thing you can do is take the bass to a tech and have it checked and set up. I have never had a problem with a Rick neck or nut.
  4. Presto2112

Presto2112

I just use rotosounds standard guage. I don't want to pay someone for a simple issue like this. Plus, I don't really trust music stores or anything anymore after they broke my friend's truss rod.....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Get rich so you can hire a full time bass tech to do all of your work for ya.
  7. Freez

Freez

+1...if your messing up putting the strings on, you may be in over your head. Might want to look into drums or something not so complicated...
  8. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    There is no different in effort to restring a Ric or a Fender (Geddy Sig Jazz). I do not really understand from your post what is the problem?
    That is how:
    http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/Rick_maint.htm#cs

Edit: If you want to sell your Ric, I'm willing buying it cheap from you and save you the pain!!! :)
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Hahaha!!!!

:hyper:
  10. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Don't hate the bass, it didn't cause this. You on the other hand need to do a little research. Go to Joey's Bass Notes and read.

I still can't figure out what you did and how you did it.
  11. u84six

u84six Supporting Member

Yeah, those basses kind of suck and they always have problems with strings. So if you're thinking of selling it, I'll take that piece of crap off your hands for a couple hundred bucks. I use them to make lamps around my house.
  12. WokenDeer

WokenDeer

I just restrung my ric today for the 500th time, what's the issue? String through bridge. Into hole in tuner. Tighten until satisfied/tuned. ? Like any other bass. Are you using bigger gauge strings and ripping the nut out? If so just file the nut, with the string if anything.
  13. I<34080

I<34080

Sounds like he's winding the D and G strings backwards on a broken nut or something
  14. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Indeed, doing so will put shear force on the nut.
  15. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Dude, wait in line, I was the first one to suggest this solution on this thread! :D
  16. Ezmar

Ezmar

Maybe post a video of how you do it. My initial thought is that you might be winding some the wrong way. My brother did that once right before a concert and snapped the nut in half. This was back when he'd just started playing.
  17. miholc

miholc

I hate my Ric. Bridge part of it. But hating Ric because of the nut?! I literally lol'ed when reading OP. Thanks for teh luls Presto, haha :D
  18. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Hating a Ric due to the bridge is just as bad as hating it due to the nut, the bridge is no issue and if you really do not like it, change it.
  19. Ezmar

Ezmar

NO WAY MAN, The bridge is necessary to that Classic Rickenbacker sound! :bassist:

Change the bridge and you might as well be playing a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BASS!! :rolleyes:
  20. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Ha ha, yes, but I love my 4003 with its bridge, nut and pup cover, I love it as it is. :)
  21. iiipopes

iiipopes

(Sigh) Did you trim the leader of the string so it has just the correct number of wraps to come down flush on the tuning post?

Yes, there are those who complain about the bridge. It can't be worse than on my 4002 which has threads on both flanges of the bridge bass, so when it needs adjusting you have to take the entire bridge apart, manually place the saddle, and then screw everything back down.

The postive aspect of this design is that once I settled on a particular brand, model and gauge of strings, in my case GHS Pressurewounds in 45-60-80-105, I haven't had to touch my bridge in almost twenty, that's right, two decade's worth of years, and it is usually perfectly in tune when I pick it up out of the case.