1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

String Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joelns, Apr 15, 2014.

1. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Yeah, I'm one of those (write a story when just asking a simple question). Tried search and found some stuff, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's the story. Picked up my bass ('83 G&L El Toro) for the first time since about 1990 or so. I got tired of it mocking me from the corner. I'm taking lessons again and am learning a lot. This time I'm trying to make the transition from being a bass player to being a musician, if you know what I mean. It's been very interesting and I'm making good progress.

My teacher was over tonight for my next lesson. He wanted to try my bass, and I almost couldn't get it back from him. Funny how that happens. Everyone loves the thing. But he said "man, these strings are shot. I think it's time you looked into replacing them." He's probably right. They date from probably mid '89. Rotosound something or other, they have a light blue silk wrapper. Punchy bright tone, which I like a lot.

I am so far out of knowledge on strings, I feel like I'm starting over.

So here's the first question:
    - Is there a resource online that has a comparison of sound on the same bass but with different strings?
    - If not, what about a write up comparing different strings?

I'm not opposed to going flats, or half-flats, or round. I'd like something with that bright punchy tone though and easy to play. I just don't know where to look or how to figure out what to look for. The variety is somewhat overwhelming.

So...help!

Thanks in advance.

2. There's a whole bunch of these videos, which will at least show you a few different D'addario strings.

Im sure someone will jump in with more.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    There are all kinds of write ups and sound samples in this forum from users of many different strings. Just let your keyboard take a stroll. Ask questions of the players who use a bass similar to yours. Send a PM or an email off to Jason at bassstringsonline Tell him what you're looking for as far as tonality and feel and he'll help you hone in a few that will be suitable for that. There's a wealth of knowledge for you right here.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Disclosures:
    Social Media Manager & Product Development for GHS Strings
    I took some time and recorded nearly all of the GHS Strings with a P Bass, using a couple standard grooves, and posted them up on the soundcloud page. You can check them out below.

http://www.soundcloud.com/ghsstrings

Linnin likes this.
  6. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks folks. I'll keep digging around. In the meantime, I picked up a set of Sadowsky Blue label nickle rounds. So far I like them.