1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String ID help (with pics)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jayscheuerle, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

These strings came on a secondhand Ergo I bought. I like their unamplified tone and want to get a set for my home-made practice bass. Any ideas? Along with the info in the pics, the length between the silks on the A string is around 50", which is 7" shorter than my current cheapo strings.

Thanks! - j

Attached Files:

2. jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Fairly true.

Attached Files:

3. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

Pretty confident that those are Thomastik Superflexibles. The peg end confuses me a bit, but I'm 95%.
  4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings

Nope. Thomastik top silks are all the same color and the ball silks are too dark.
  5. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

Well that just makes me sad. I do love this game so.
  6. jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

The blue windings on the bottom are only about 3" long, and the balls are smaller than my Spiro Weichs (.25" deep vs around .375" deep)...
  7. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Possibly half size Corellis. (100cm set)
  8. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

A friend of mine has a similar set of strings on his double bass. They look like spirocores except the silks are too short, the balls are different and the pegbox silks are all different colors. I thought at first they would be a 3885 set, but I'll have to ask what they are.
  9. foilracer

foilracer

The ball looks like Corelli's....can't say which set...
  10. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Ok, so my friend says that what he's got are super-sensative red-labels. I'm betting this is another string from the super-sensative line.
  11. jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

That's what I'm thinking, too, after seeing pictures of their balls and silk length.
    (where else can I utter that phrase legitimately?)
    Even the felt dampers look right.

Good price here ($86.53 to my door):
    http://fiddlershop.com/strings/bass/corelli/nickel/corelli-bass-nickel-set-100-cm-1-2.html

Not sure what the difference between the nickel and tungsten are, but I've only been able to find the 1/2 size with nickel.

I'm really surprised there isn't a better pictorial database available...

Thanks !- j
  12. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

We could probably make one from all of the previous String ID threads. Wow, that would be a fun project, that I don't have time for, but maybe, I'll do it instead of sleeping.
  13. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    The Corelli Nickels would be dark green I think, so they're probably Tungsten's half size then.
  14. jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Ouch. I think you're right. Better try to cancel that order!