String identification on my Hofner bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kurt, Sep 17, 2013.

1. kurt

kurt

Got a new (used) Hofner 500/1 bass and was wondering if anyone can help identify the strings on it. The yarns at the headstock are bright red, the e looks maybe a bit orangey. Can't tell for sure but looks like no yarn at the bridge. They are also a bit short, the yarn is covering the 0 fret on the e d and g strings. Very smooth flat wounds. Tension seems extremely light (my first Hofner though so don't have a comparison). Would like a little more tension.

Thanks!
  2. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

Sounds like you have Rotosound 77 jazz bass monel flats. I use them and they match your description.
  3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yes, probably Rotos.

They might be the really light La Bellas; they have watermelon red colored silks.
  4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Rotos should have light blue yarn. Also should not be TIs because their short strings are longer (they are closer in length to medium scale strings).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kurt

kurt

Thanks guys! Here's a pic of thte silks if that helps.

Attached Files:

7. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Thomastik-Infeld uses red silks on the Jazz flatwound strings. They are extremely smooth, with light tension. But they are primary red in colour.
  8. kurt

kurt

Yeah, I have a set of thomastiks on my jazz bass and they are definitely redder, kind of a scarlet. These are a little more orange. Maybe they are the light labellas.