String Length Issue

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by XaxMan, Feb 13, 2013.

1. XaxMan

XaxMan

Hello all. I have been having an problem finding a string of the correct length. My issue is that the distance between where the string gets smaller and where it wraps around the post is often too long. The small portion of the string actually comes down into the first fret below the nut. This obviously causes the string to set too low against the fretboard and alters the way the string sounds.

The only string I have found that fits properly is the RotoSound piano style strings. The only thing is they were not long enough for a through the body routing, which is what I prefer.

I play a Schecter Hellraiser 5 string, mostly fingerplucking and a little slap/pop in the rock milieu.

I attempted to talk to a local music store about it and they told me just to cut it before I wrap it around the post. They completely did not understand what I was talking about.

I hope you guys have an answer. I've looked and researched for quite a while.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    There are a lot of strings that will fit your instrument out there.

You need a string with a 38" winding length... There is literally a ton available...
  3. XaxMan

XaxMan

I appreciate the advice; however, the strings I got in the extra long scale length had the same problem.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Rotosound PSD's are not "Extra Long" scale strings. What extra long strings did you use that did not work?
  6. XaxMan

XaxMan

It was not the RotoSound psd's that were too long. They actually are the only ones that worked but were too short for through the body stringing. I have them on my bass now. I would like to have a string that is long enough at the ball end for through the body and short enough at the taper to stay above the nut.

It was a set of rotosounds that was way too long.
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    I am trying to help you find what fits your instrument.

By telling me what strings specifically (brand and specific set info) does fit and what does not fit I can tell you what does fit.

I can not use psd strings as a reference because of the specific nature of their construction.
  8. XaxMan

XaxMan

I'm thinking it was a set of extra long rotosounds. It's been some time since I got them. After that, I have used long scale. They did not work too well. The only strings that have fit were the ones that were on it when I bought it.
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Extra long rotos are 39" and are longer than most extra long strings...

D'Addario, GHS, La Bella extra long is 38" which is probably perfect for your instrument

DR long scale is 38" while their extra long is 40.75"
  10. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Why don't you use a "sharpie" or pencil to mark one of your strings right at the nut. Pull it off the bass and measure how long it is from the ball end to that mark. I think that information will shorten this process of finding strings that fit well.

Ken
  11. FourBanger

FourBanger

In Jason's defense I have a hard time from your post telling which strings you found too short or too long.

Follow Ken's advice to measure, with any string thru the bridge if you want them that way. I would even add a measurement to the E string winding peg, then call Jason with those lengths. He will be able to tell you which strings fit within the range that will be long enough to clear the nut and not so long they don't wind properly.
  12. XaxMan

XaxMan

The overall string length is fine, its the wrapping being below the nut that is my issue. I need a string where the wrapping will be between the nut and the post.
  13. FourBanger

FourBanger

Overall length is almost irrelevant, all of them are made "too long" and need to be trimmed before winding.

BUT the WINDING length is what you need to know, so you gotta know what you bass needs before anyone can tell you what strings have a winding length compatible with it.

You need to determine what length the string needs to be from ball end to just past the nut, every bass, regardless of scale, can be different.
  14. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Yes. And I do not know how much more I can tell you without you doing something too.

I have linked you to an article to tell you how to measure your instrument to find the correct strings.

I have told you the winding lengths of the strings I know you have used to determine what is too long or too short...

(the 39" extra long rotosound is the measuments from ball end to silk and does not include the entire silken portion of the string)

Long Scale strings are 36.5-37" long.... If those are too short and 39" is too long then you need to use 38" long strings... Some companies call these extra long and some call it long scale.

Also on the link I provided above it includes a list of string lengths by specific manufacturer. It was literally all you needed to know.
  15. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Now that I am actually in my office I looked in my archives...

I helped a customer with a Hellraiser 5... 37.75" from Ball to Nut when strung thru-body. So you need strings with at least a 37.9" winding length. Best best is 38"

So these are the brands that will work for you... Lengths are Ball to Taper or Ball to Silk when applicable... This does NOT include the extra winding length that goes to the tuners...
    D'Addario Super Long = 38"
    DR Long Scale = 38"
    Elixir Extra Long = 38"
    Ernie Ball Super Long = 38.25"
    GHS Long Plus = 38"
    Ken Smith Long Scale = 38" (do not use tapered strings)
    La Bella Extra Long = 38"
    SIT Extra Long = 38" (Can also use G&L Signature strings from them)

I am not including strings with windings of 39" or longer as you indicated Rotosound Extra Long is too long for your liking. I also did not include strings that have only a Tapered B string available as they will not work on your thru-body instrument. DR Long Necks however are tapered but will work on your thru-body instrument.
  16. XaxMan

XaxMan

Sweet! Thanks Mr. Funk. I am going to order them from your site which is quite nice by the way. :hyper:
  17. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures: