1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String length on a Gibson Ripper - am I doing this right or not?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky w00t? Supporting Member

Hopefully this thread can become a resource for people looking for the same information as me, because I have only read contradictory information regarding the needed string length for stringing through the body of a Ripper.

I've been using Ernie Ball hybrid slinkys exclusively on my Ripper, without noticing any problem. According to the length chart at BSO, they are 37.25" long, which is long scale, whereas some information on the web says extra long scale is needed. I've read some people saying they strung through the body with long scale string without any problem.

Now my question is: am doing something wrong using long scal strings? Are they too short and I am not noticing it?

Here are some pics of the nut and headstock (and the bridge to prove it's strung-through). They are delibaretly high-res, so you can click on them to enlarge. What do you think? I don't quite remember the last time I did it, but I don't I cut the strings before putting them on. Does it look ok to you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes

3. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    this happened on my old t40 with long strings. i forget what brand i found that started to taper about half an inch later with the "long scale".
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Looks like that instrument needs a 38" string... Absolute minimum 37.75"

If you want to continue using Ernie Balls I would suggest using their Extra Long strings.
  5. Lebowsky

Ok, but can you describe what's wrong from the picture? Sorry, I'm not a native speaker...

Very hard to find stainless steel roundwounds in 45-65-85-110 extra long scale. Rotosound 66 I ordered from BSO will definitely not be long enough in that case... they don't seem to to have those gauges in extra long scale. Ernie Ball only has nickels, no stainless steel. Looks like only La Bella is left in the rock genre, and that's a custom order... Fodera does not tempt me, it is not really advertised for an aggressive rock sound playing with a pick...
  6. Dubsly

Dubsly Supporting Member

I had a Ripper for a few years and always had to get Extra Long Scale when going though the body.
  7. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

If you look at the nut on the E and A strings they start to taper on the neck side of the nut (and the D is right on the edge). That is the problem. I have a couple of Rippers and have found that some brands of regular long scale will do the trick while most require you to use extra long scale. If you like those strings and they are easy to get you could just skip going through body and run them just from the bridge.
  8. Lebowsky

Thanks for the explanation FourNotFive. I'm currently discussing with Jason to find which strings are best to replace those (I like stringing throught the body).

What are the consequences of using too short strings like I did? :)
  9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

When in doubt, I have found DR strings to be long enough for just about any bass.
  10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

No major consequences. Just that the string has some room for movement in the nut on the E & A strings. Also the "fat" Part of the String can catch and ruin the nut while tuning up. The loose fit in the nut could cause some rattle/vibrations. If it plays/sounds fine then it's all good for now but go with longer scale next time around.:)
  11. Lebowsky

Thanks! Yeah looks like I'm going either with DR Lo-Riders or La Bellas!