String/Nut question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Hi all... I am wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on what is happening here. I know it's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but the E string on my Lakland Glaub is rubbing on the headstock, right after the nut. The string height in the nut looks to be good, from what I can tell.

The bass is strung through the body with relatively low action. It is strung with med light chromes. Maybe a slight truss rod adjustment or a lighter gauge set of strings would be the trick - this is my first time using these strings coming from DR Nickel Low Riders... I thought I would try flats. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Well, crap... Looks like I don't have the ability to "manage attachments." :mad:
  2. megafiddle

megafiddle

Is that bass a fretless? That would be normal in that case due to the lower nut slot height.

If fretted, might just be the string is wound too low on the tuning post (too many wraps).

Truss rod will have no effect on that.

With fretless, the contact with the fretboard on the headstock side of the nut can cut grooves,
    or require that grooves be cut:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fretless-nut-height-1008567/

3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Loosen E, pull up on windings so that the string comes off the barrel higher and doesn't touch the wood. Tune up. Done.... Really.

Really Yogi?
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Umm... Been there done that. This isn't my first time at the goat rodeo.

I was just looking to see if anyone shared a similar experience. I am going to remove the nut, epoxy if I have to, or just replace it if necessary - as a start. Looking more closely it looks like the E is not cut well and may be causing the issue.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Precision101

Precision101

The groove in the nut Is uneven I've had that on my fender p bass and I wouldn't mess with it. You should Probably just get a new nut and file it to your liking😊