1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String reccomendatiions for Charvel 1B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Title says it all. I've got an '87 Charvel 1B that I've recently picked up and it needs strings. Looking for your experiences in making my descision. :cool:

DOUBLE POST - PLEASE IGNORE OR DELETE.

2. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

You've posted an extremely broad question here. Some details would be appreciated (what kind of tone you're looking for, what kind of tension, feel, price, etc).

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

More specifically - I like a fat sound with lots of bottom and generally like rounds over flats. Pretty much open on everything else. I have my favorites that I like on other basses, and they'll probably work on this bass, but I'm looking specifically for experiences for this style Charvel 1B, since this a first one for me and I rather do the strings only once. :)

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

I've played a couple of those before.
    Do you slap much? What kind of wood is the fingerboard?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

No slap as such, although I do use my thumb exclusively and on occasion will get a bit of a slap sound using my thumbnail and popping up, but generally a medium to hard thump with the thumb. Fingerboard is maple. Looking through the Charvel forum, I noted a couple of comments that flats didn't work real well with this bass because of it's non trebly tendencies as well as relatively weak pickups. I can confirm the not such strong pickups from the little I've played it, but a simple twist of the amp's volume knob can solve that issue. Details like rounds, flats, sizes, soft, hard etc. experiences on this bass is what I'm looking for. :)

7. Jensby design

Jensby design

I'm going to push you towards some kind of alloy strings like:
    https://www.bassstringsonline.com/Everly-Strings-B-52s-Bass-Strings--4-String-Set_p_963.html
    https://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Super-Alloy-52-Series--4-String-Set_p_932.html
    http://circlekstrings.com/store/
    If you're switching between basses you want their output to be as close as possible.
    As far as gauge something like 100-106 for the E-String.
    The 1B is kinda an odd bass I'm not sure what its intended roll was suppose to be. :meh: Its almost like that bass was meant to be played with a pick.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

You still have the stock Jackson pickup? I would start there. I actually like the tone of the Jackson P pup, but I'd put it in the "underwound" category. Or you could go the other route, keeping the pickup and adding a preamp.

Just think of it like any other P-bass. Install your favorite P pickup and choice of strings.

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Yea, it's all stock. I had some time today to take it apart. I cleaned everything, set it up and put some new strings that I already had on it. Plays good, but still working with the sound/tone. I put Alice 45-65-80-105 rounds. Even pumped, volume is pretty thin, so I was thinking about a larger gage string to add a little more bottom and thickness to it. I've tried this approach with success on other basses.

Thanks for your tips. Is it possible to have the stock pups rewound to enhance their performance? :)

10. Jensby design

Jensby design

Yes but if you're going to pay someone to do that you might as well buy new.