1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String Recommendation/Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by 1987, Nov 19, 2013.

1. 1987

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on strings for my double bass. I've used Spirocore Mittels almost exclusively for several years, and been very happy with them. I have however, recently moved to another country and had to leave my old bass behind.

I recently purchased a 1920s Czech ¾ of unknown make. It came with the same strings, but they don't seem to respond as well; they really seem to lack projection/volume. In the practice room and it sounds great, but I feel like I'm killing myself on the band stand. They are probably close to 10 years old; has their lifespan just worn out?

As an experiment, I've been trying Innovation Super Silvers. The difference in projection/volume is incredible. I've gotten a lot of comments on it. However, I'm really not digging the more 'gut' string sound. The sound I'm after is much more 1960s Ron Carter/1990s-present John Patitucci. The tension is also far too low; it's almost too easy play.

So, in summary, I'm looking for strings that will offer greater projection, but still afford a similar degree of articulation, sustain and tuning accuracy as the Spiros.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn Supporting Member

Sounds like your new bass may project better with less tension. You could try spiro weichs, or even solos, although those might feel too loose for you.

You could start by putting your mittels back on and tuning them down a half-step or so. See if the bass seems to speak more loudly and freely. That could indicate that a lower tension string will help.