1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String recommendation needed - pickers only

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 6, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

Coming out of a long bass retirement and I need a string recommendation.

Not interested in any recommendations based on finger style. Pickers' comments only, please.

This is for a P-bass with vintage voiced pickups. I want focused grrrrowllll that will cut through. A sinister sound that will scare small children. Don't have any sustain preferences. Nothing twangy. Woody sound is OK, as long as that wood has thorns. Snarl!

I use a Fender medium pick, Genz-Benz head with 2 cabs (10 & 15 w/ tweeter).

Not interested in changing instruments or pickups. I'll consider any string type.

2. Jensby design

Jensby design

Three company's come to mind here is my pros and cons list:

Rotosound (66): Pros, aggressive, growlly, cuts through mix. Cons overly bright not a lot of low end IMO

LaBella (nickle): Pros, good full tone, lighter gauges get that growl. Cons not the longest life span IMO

Circle K: Pros, versatile, long life, any gauge you are going to ever need, tone balances well string to string. Cons theirs only one place to get them, maybe not the growliest, idk it's hard to write a con list for my favorite strings.

3. catgut

catgut

D'addario Pro-Steels, LaBella Stainless, Sadowski Black label steels. I can't get nickel to growl. Only thump and sizzle with large helping of mid scoops. ymmv.

4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

Am I right that steel is harder on fret than nickel?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Given same shape, yes. However, many SS roundwounds have been engineered to be easier on the fingers shape-wise, and presumably that makes them easier on the frets, too.

I hear that Ernie Ball's Cobalts do what you want but mine are still sitting in a website cart :)

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

Roto Swing 66s and Labella Steels and the most snarling and aggressive strings that I've tried, 66s have more of a metallic grinding sound while the Labellas have more of a dark growl with a bit of grind on top. GHS B52s(steel wrapped with iron and nickel) have a really aggressive, metallic midrange character too but they aren't made anymore.

These strings all have some twang though, until they die at least. The most aggressive sounding flats I've tried are Chromes, Fenders, and Sadowskys which won't have a twang but will develop into a mellow, un-sinister sound over time.

8. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

Earnie Ball Cobalts, not harsh on frets and has the sound to cut through the mix. They are by far my favourite.

9. Jensby design

Jensby design

Low tension is the only way I have found (something like .090-.085 for E-string)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but "Shake Hands With Beef" has a growlly sounding bass line.

10. fabubass

fabubass

Chromes 100's sound great with a pick