1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String Recommendations for by Ibanez

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Feb 5, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I've had an Ibanez SRX300 for a few years and I've never been in love with the tone but I love the weight of the bass, the feel of the neck, and the way it plays. I'm looking for some strings that will give me the tone I'm looking for. I'm currently using DR Red Devil's tuned BEAD that I swapped in place of the stock Elixir's it had when I bought it. I did try EB Power Slinky's but they weren't what I was looking for either. I find that the B string is a little to "empty" sounding for me and the E and A strings just don't cut the way I'd like them too. Overall, the bass sounds hollow and and just kinda "farts" in the mix. Can you guys make any suggestions as to what strings might be a good compliment to this bass and give me a thicker sound for some of the heavier stuff I'm playing with it (Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, etc.). I don't mind trying something different on it but I can't drop hundreds of dollars to find a good set either.

2. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

No one? Has anyone had a similar issue, maybe with a different bass?

3. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

I have the SRX400 series. I am going to try the DR Sunbeams. Typically I have used Ernie Ball Slinky, DR Fatbeams, Elixir Stainless Steel, and Rotosounds.

So far Elixir has been my favorite. Perhaps you can also try some EQ-ing to fatten up your sound. Maybe someone else will be of better assistance.

:)

4. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I usually favor the neck pickup and boost the bass. I've tried boosting and cutting the treble. I think it sounds a little fuller with the treble boosted as well, but still not what I'm looking for.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mr.black

mr.black

I use DR Stings on all my ibanez soundgear basses... i just love the sound combo (i use Boomers, dunlops, and Labella's on other basses) if you like what you hear stick with it and seek out (not always easy) heavier sets. the black beauties i use come in heavy BKB-50 - 50,70,90,110 but the reds don't so try the 5-string set n leave off the G string from the RDB5-45 set and end up with ,65,85,105,125.

bassstringsonline.com will be very helpful, call him.

or also look into Aurora Strings - I hear they made the first colored sets for DR.

7. Jensby design

Jensby design

No, I use http://www.circlekstrings.com/store/ no issues with my F#-string either ;)

8. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I just emailed Jason at BSO. He recommended D'Addario ProSteels or Roto Swing Bass 66.

I've seen a lot of talk here about Circle K strings but I don't have any experience with them.

9. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

If you just want to stand out in the mix, and not just bash in the mix's head, D'addario Prosteels. I had them on mine before I tried these Dr Hibeams, and they sit better. I have a four string, so no help on the apparently elusive B string. I do agree, though, that the EB's just don't cut it, I used to use hybrid slinkies. Just not well balenced, ime, and the E always sound dull. Not even dead sounding, just dull.
    Oh, and do Ibanezes come stock with Elixers? I have tried many basses at GC, and I love the loose-but-not-floppy-loose-just-loose-like-going-commando feeling, plus the tone is unlike anything I have heard before. I'd get a set to try, if I had the money...

10. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I can't speak to all Ibanez basses, but the SRX series that I tried at my local shop all came with Elixir strings..

I've heard really good things about ProSteels so I'm leaning that direction (over the Roto 66s). When I try to play some of the heavier stuff, the DR red devils just kinda "fart out" and sound muddy.

11. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I ended up ordering a set of ProSteels and a set of Roto 66's in 65-85-105-125. What are the thoughts between these two choices?