1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

string recommendations for korean skyline glaub

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lowdowndds, Dec 31, 2012.

1. lowdowndds

lowdowndds

just got this baby, but needs new strings.
    newbie playing beatles, creedence, police, jamerson, etc
    please help & thanks

p.s. happy, healthy & wealthy new year
  2. backup

backup

labella flatwounds!
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Awesome deal on LaBella's right here:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Bass-String-Bin_c_457.html

He has some flats, and a THREE PACK of rounds...a set of nickel, a set of steel, and a set of 52's for the same price as one set of flats.

Those GHS Progressives for $10 are also PHENOMENAL strings. They don't sound like flats though, if that's what you're after.
    Be aware the E string is exposed core. Not an issue as long as you're not stringing through body.
  4. lowdowndds

lowdowndds

bump it up for more ideas
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Well even though I linked to those flats, I personally don't like flats. I just I like to have some life, some zing, some punch to my sound so I use nickel rounds. Someone else suggested flats, and those are a great deal, so there they are :)

If you like rounds, you are NOT going to find a better deal than either of those others ones I linked...the LaBella 3 pack or the $10 Progressives. Progressives have a nice warm grit to them, nice and punchy.

If you want flats, those LaBellas are fine or BSO has some light guage GHS flats for $15.

If you want a cross between flats and rounds, try GHS Pressurewounds. No zing like rounds, but no dead thunk like flats.

GHS Boomers are brigther than Pressurewounds, but duller and thicker than most other rounds.

DR Sunbeams are a nice mellow nickel string with round core for lower tension and a nice supple feel.

www.bassstringsonline.com has the best selection I've seen.
  6. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

DR Sunbeams are the best!

Perfect description, BTW.
  7. DingoBlues

DingoBlues

Congrats! I have the same bass in black/maple. I'm presently using D'Addario 40-100 chromes. Perfect for the acoustic Beatles/America/Neil Young stuff I do.

I tried a few sets of rounds. GHS Boomers, DR nickel Lo-rider, Black Beauties, and Sunbeams. All good sounding strings. Boomers and the Sunbeams were probably my favorite rounds on the Glaub. The Boomers have a bit more low end thump and are a bit stiffer than the Sunbeams.

The only string that didn't work for me personally were the GHS precison flats.

Ultimately you'll have to try a few sets yourself to see what feels and sounds best to you.
  8. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

For your description:

LaBella Flats
    GHS Precision Flats
    Chromes

In that order.

P w/flats=LaBella, IMHO.
  9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yes, for that music, La Bella 760FL or Fender 9050CL.
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've been using Curt Mangan for several years and am very happy with them. In the past, I've also used DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams.
  11. mccartneyman

mccartneyman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Sadowsky Flats, TI Flats, GHS Precision Flats. If you go round, I prefer nickel rounds over stainless. GHS makes the Rene Martinez Taper Core set that's very nice.
  12. lowdowndds

lowdowndds

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO