1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String revival

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by salcott, Dec 18, 2012.

1. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

I'm being given a large stash of used strings, among which are a bunch of various wound gut. The reason these strings go bad is usually that the core shrinks, making the winding get loose. Has anyone ever tried steaming a wound gut string to fatten up the core, and if you have, what were the results?
  2. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

3. salcott

Haha. It's a serious question. They shrink because they dry out. It stands to reason that a few minutes in a steamer could work.
  4. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

My answer stands. You would be better off trying to have them re-wound.
  5. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

Couldn't hurt to try the steaming.

Then again, guts do tend to get bigger around the holidays, so...
  6. salcott

Yeah Jason, I know Dan Larsen rewinds, but these are Olivs. I can see where the heat might cause them to come apart, and will try taping a bag with a string in it to the front of a non-mist humidifier. That will expose it to nothing but wet air. This should be interesting.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes

Hey! I resemble that remark!:D
  8. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Wouldn't it be better to put the strings in almond oil (baby oil) for some time to let the gut kernel grow a bit?
    The oil wouldn't evaporate as quickly as water does.
  9. ctxbass

ctxbass

If all else fails, you can remove the windings. Wound E and A strings will make usable unwound D and G strings.