1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

String silk on bridge saddle fix!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Grissle, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Grissle

Grissle

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

YES!!! FINALLY!!! Now the E-string won't bind. I have gone so far as cutting a bridge in two to get the required offset. Now it is done for us. YES!!!

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

That is a very good improvement as far as intonation goes. I have run out room setting up basses for BEAD tuning.

4. IPA

IPA

"A long overdue innovation" is right. Simple, doesn't look weird or too modern. Nice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Nice, I like it.
    Only $60 isn't bad ether

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A logical and elegantly simple option. Bueno.

8. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Or you can use a razor knife and shave the silk off; cost = free.

Edit: that E,A tail is quite a distance from the mounting screws. It's gonna bend up under tension.

9. iiipopes

Probably not. Angled steel is pretty strong. But even if it does, it won't lift that much, and you won't notice it.

10. 96tbird

Angled steel is strong longitudinally. At a right angle as in a bridge, not so. The tension is focused on the balls low on the plate perpendicular to the angle bend and it will stress on the space from there to the screws. . the break angle of the string further changes the vector to increase upward force compared to a straight pull. Unless the steel has been hardened after forming, this is inevitable. The reason light steel can be used in the Fender style is precisely because the screws are so close to the ball ends.

What will you notice? Decreased string break angle.

Shave the silk off if it is a problem. Unless the OP is meaning of the wire over wrap at the ball and not the fabric silk thread. He did say SILK in the title. But go ahead a drop 60 on this gimmick if you wish.

11. iiipopes

Complain, complain, complain. A major advance in top load bridge design, and all folks do is complain, complain, complain. Don't you think this went through extensive beta testing before release? It is a FANTASTIC bridge!!!

12. Hopkins

There is no way the tension of an E and A string are going to bend that stainless steel bridge. You could take two pairs of channel locks and I would bet you would have a hard time bending it that way.

Like I said previously. I have ran out of room on the low B before trying to intonate a bass that was set up for BEAD tuning. This bridge is an elegant fix for that, so there for its not a gimmick as you called it.

13. P Town

P Town Guest

I have asked this elsewhere, and did not get an answer, but I would like to know what purpose the silk serves on a string.

Anyone?

14. Bobster

Bobster

I think it's interesting for sure in terms of intonation.

Please remember this isn't a unique solution. Yamaha has a bridge extension for the "B" string on their BB415 and BB425 basses. I haven't seen any lift problems there.

All the best,

Bob

15. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Looks, and potentially protecting the metal parts on the bass. Other than that, not a lot - other than making unknown strings easier to identify.

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The material is thick, the distance from the back to the mounting holes is so short, plus the strings enter near the bottom - there is no way that will bend - even a little.

My Yamaha 615 had the same thing on the B string - it didn't move.

This should be come the standard design.

17. 96tbird

Yeah, it could never happen: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/bridge-bent-how-go-about-replacement-996161/

OK, it's brass so... but the plate is thicker. I only say this from a similar experience with another bridge I had.

18. Hopkins

That is one instance on a bridge made of much softer metal, and is by far the exception and not the rule. I have set up thousands of guitars and basses, I have never come across a bridge lifting like that.

19. mongo2

mongo2

I'd rather see the D/G section pushed back to be even with the E/A section. That stepped version just looks goofy to me.

20. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

21. 96tbird

True for sure. Besides if it does happen it will take years. Still looks nasty to me. But you all dig it so that's cool. I'm sure you'll enjoy if you use it.