1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

String spacing on a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bmoney1990, Apr 9, 2014.

1. bmoney1990

bmoney1990

Apr 2, 2014
    Hello all,

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Scott Devine (though I'm sure several of you have). He has a custom Overwater bass with what seems like a slimmer neck and 18mm string spacing. I am curious, how could I achieve that on a standard Fender J? Cheers!

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    change out the bridge.
    Hipshot makes one.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    When having tighter string-spacing, it's good to have a neck width that is relative to the spacing.....I play 5-string basses with 16.5mm spacing. The width of my necks...+ and - a bit is 46mm at the nut and 71mm at the 24th fret. I had Overwater make me a J5 with this spacing.

There are some luthiers that make Jazz basses (or single-coil loaded basses) with narrower spacing such as Overwater...also visit www.public-peace.de ...I believe their common spacing is 17mm on their "Elwood" (5-strings).

Regarding Fenders...or related....I believe there is a Squire Jazz bass that has narrower spacing...17.5mm I believe....again for a 5-string.

And lastly....I think that Scott's Overwater Jazz is 16.5mm...