1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String spacing poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rotation, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Rotation

Rotation Supporting Member

Do you care much about string spacing at nut or bridge? If so why, when, how much?

I'm a new player and go between a five string, 1-3/4" 16mm and a four string, 1-1/2" 19mm. The wider strings are easier to play but having experience with narrow strings seems worthwhile.

(My interest is four & five string basses, people with other preferences welcome.)
  2. danharris

danharris

after playing 19mm 4 bangers for years, i have to say that ive grown quite fond of my 16.5mm space on my new six string. it took a few weeks of steady six string only playing to get used to it, but now i feel right at home in the tight space. im kinda gasing for a 5er now.
  3. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

1 3/4 at the nut,18mm at the bridge. Music Man and Fender are perfect for my small hands.
  4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I have smaller hands so narrow spacing feels much better for me on 5+ string basses. I don't slap much these days but I've never felt cramped by 16-18mm spacing at the bridge.

If you're a fairly new player I suggest focusing on the 5 string to develop good technique and playing habits, especially muting techniques (i.e. damping the strings that are not being played). Many of these techniques are easy to ignore on a 4 string bass which is why many folks struggle with the transition to 5+ strings. But if you get the technique right on the 5 string, not only will you feel totally in command of 4 string basses but you won't have to change your technique to play 6+ strings if you wanted to.
  5. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I'm learning on a 5 string and thinking of buying a 4 string
    and thinking about the spacing on low end. I think from playing a few standard P's and Music Mans that the neck width is within my comfort zone and the extra space between strings is a bonus.
  6. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

Fender is 18mm on a 5er and Musicman is 17.5mn on their 5ers. I can't play anything less than 17.5mm. I have a fender jazz V now and I had a stingray 5 I sold to get the jazz V, I know it's only .5mm but I can definitely tell the difference from the fender to the stingray, I actually preferred the 17.5 over the 18.
  7. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I have 14mm string spacing on my 2 6-string basses and love it. Anyone who tells you that that's too tight to play fingerstyle doesn't know what they are talking about. I can even slap with that string spacing as well. Hell, classical guitarists pick with their fingers and the spacing on a guitar is around 11mm, so don't be afraid to go down to 14mm or something if you like. If you like playing chords or you just don't want a super-wide neck, it will make playing the bass so much easier.
  8. bassteban

bassteban

Jazz-tight at the nut, typical P-Bass wide at the bridge.

Edit: Why? Tight nut for quicker fretting, wide bridge for clean slapping. Im not a huge slapped but like the bass to cooperate when I do go all faux-funky

Edit 2: When? When I play the bass, silly
  9. Emibass

Emibass

I guess the string spacing liking differes from player to player. Less the 18mm at bridge and the bass is uncomfortable to me, but I could adjust.
    Nevertheless I strongly think that you don't have to adjust to the instrument but the way around. All you have to do is try how many basses out there as you can, with time you'll find out what's best for you.
  10. Davo-London

Davo-London

I use a J and P style basses. The string spacing is different but I'm used to both. I tend to prefer the J-style spacing.

Davo
  11. Sartori

Sartori

I hate taper. The less, the better.

So I like my Rickenbacker, which has, I guess, medium to wide spacing at the nut, and narrow spacing at the bridge.
  12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

For 5 string, I prefer 19mm but am OK with 18mm. <18 is a deal breaker for me. Ideal nut is 1.81" (Lakland) but up to 2" is OK.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I played Fender style fours for over 20 years: P-basses and Rays. So, string spacing at the bridge was about 19mm, nut width was usually 1.625", but I also liked the vintage 1.75". I didn't like the narrow J-bass nut width.

When I switched to fiver in Y2K, I realized that string spacing is incredibly important to me at both ends of the bass. At the bridge I prefer 19mm spacing, or 20mm (as on the Warwick SSI5 I owned for awhile). My hands can't get comfortable on narrow fivers, and I've tried. It's too bad: I love the tone of the MusicMan SR5, but the narrow spacing feels horrible. Narrow spacing on a fiver is an absolute deal killer for me regardless of any other factor.
  14. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Nut: 1.625"
    Bridge: currently running 20.1mm center to center
  15. sobie18

sobie18

Don't give a rats hind flank in ANY regard. Each bass I own has a certain character to it and with different neck widths, sizes, number of strings, pups, etc. brings out another side of my playing. Even in the subtlest ways...

From my monster-necked Yamaha TRB-JP to my Jazz-style necks...
  16. lz4005

lz4005

I've never been bothered by bridge spacing unless the strings are super close like on a Bass VI.

I'm a lot more picky about neck profile, fingerboard radius, nut spacing and having equal space between the strings at the nut instead of having the strings spaced on-center.
  17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I prefer it a little narrower at the bridge and nut than most people. The Fender Performer was just right for me. The Vaccaro 5er is pretty nice too. I am comfortable on Warwick 5ers (not the broad necks tho).
  18. Bobster

Bobster

My 5-string LTD B-1005 has 17mm spacing and my Squier VM Jazz V have 18mm. I'm okay with either of these.

My 4-string Fender Modern Player Jag has 20mm and my Ltd Surveyor-4 has 19mm. No issues here either.

But my Rockbass Corvette 5 had 16.5mm and that was just too tight for me personally.

All the best!

Bob
  19. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

18-19 mm at the bridge.

Where's the poll?:p
  20. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I second what immigrant said, Where's the poll? :D

Anyhow, I couldn't care less about my spacing at the nut. My hand is more than large enough to cover the spread of a 5 or 6 string. At the bridge? Yeah, I don't really like 19 mm spacing. I find it harder to skip strings, which something I find myself doing quite often. I actually find it easier to play on my 15 mm (edge to edge) spaced 5er, including slap. Sometimes when going fast it's hard to stop myself from hitting a low string however.