1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

string squeaking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GastonD, Feb 13, 2014.

1. GastonD

GastonD

When I go for larger shifts up or down the fingerboard, there is audible squeaking produced by my left hand/fingers sliding over the string(s). Is there some specific way/technique to alleviate this occurrence?
  2. Zombifer

Zombifer

Flatwound strings!
    Squeak is normal with any roundwound string, so flatwounds were invented to alleviate the squeaking. They sound a bit more mellow, which I personally prefer and they're more comfortable to play.
  3. Duckwater

Duckwater

Can't tell if you're joking or not.

You can reduce the squeak by adapting your left hand to not slide across the strings as much when making position shifts, EQing the frequency that it happens at, or by playing different kinds of strings. IMO in most band situations it won't be audible anyways unless you're using a lot of compression or distortion with brand new rounds.
  4. P Town

P Town Guest

As far as electric bass strings go, flats came first.
    They were not invented to alleviate finger noise on a bass.
    I remember buying new strings for my '61 P bass back in the early 1970s, and the guy in the music store talked me into rounds, saying they were the new style of strings that everybody was using. I hated them, and went back to flats.
    I do have rounds on my J bass.
  5. GastonD

GastonD

I figured it is next to impossible to completely eliminate the issue with roundwounds. Still, in a studio situation (for example) would it be of any help to try adding something like noise gate pedal or similar type of gear (which?) to the signal chain?
  6. mrbell321

mrbell321

I was going to suggest flatwounds...
  7. Jensby design

Jensby design

[​IMG]
    Problem solved.
  8. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

Classic :p

If your not looking to go the way of flats, I have found the Sadowsky Blue Nickels to be about the smoothest round wounds for minimal string squeak. I bought a bass which was strung with the blues and noticed the strings to be quieter than my DR Sunbeams I use on all my basses.

9. GastonD

GastonD

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not going to switch to the flatwounds, that's for sure. Maybe changing the brand of strings could help, but I just love DR hi-beams. Maybe going for nickel instead of stainless?
  10. Duckwater

Duckwater

IME DRs have less string noise than most string makers, try some Rotosound 66s if you want to really hear some squeak. Switching to Sunbeams or nickel Low Riders would probably help a little bit.