String suggestion for a 5 string jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by aparker82, Sep 24, 2013.

1. aparker82

aparker82

Howdy, just ordered a Squier Jazz VM V, I hear the stock strings are abysmal, bad thing is I know nothing about strings, I do know I want some round wound strings. Anyways, thanks for your time and looking forward to y'alls suggestions.
  2. Levin

Levin

Fodera nickels! Greaat b-string and they sound very good on a jazz, great string-to-string balance and niice smooth tone. Easy to play too without being rubbery!
    Maybe steel if that's more what you like, I often prefer steel over nickels on some passives.
  3. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 on the Fodera nickels. I have the .40 - .120 on my Adamovic Saturn and couldn't be happier.
  4. Levin

Levin

La Bella Deep Talkin' rounds, a light gauge, would sound great too as they are quite dark for a steel and give a bit more... meat to the jazz sound!
    I've got those on my fender jazz and especially now after breaking in they are gold!
    I don't have a light gauge tho', but gauge doesn't affect the sound so much anyway.
    The LaBellas are are quite stiff to play and sound quite old-school, in a warm yet growly way!
    If I were you I would go with either those or for a more flexible string, the Foderas! But to each his own... what do you play, mostly?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. unclebass

unclebass

I use Curt Mangan nickel rounds, and they sound great. A little bright for a while, but they settle in nice. After you replace strings, you might want to recheck the setup, especially if you go with lighter gauges.
  7. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Do you want a string that's easy to find (that will likely be carried by a local shop) or are you okay with (most likely) having to order online? Did you have a price range in mind? Also, do you prefer the idea of a stiff string or are you looking for a lot of flexibility (high tension vs low tension)?
  8. aparker82

aparker82

As nice as thier basses are I'm sure they make an incredible string, why on passives do you prefer steels? When you say rubbery, are they coated strings?

9. aparker82

aparker82

How stiff are they? I had some rotosound flats that were way to stiff. I mainly play contemporary but at times jump into jazz, blues, rock or classical.
  10. aparker82

aparker82

I'm fine with ordering strings, not sure on price range, preferably not $100 a set strings, after having some rotosound flats and not liking how stiff/high tension they are I guess I like a normal tension string, never had anything really low tension, so not sure if I would like those.
  11. JeffLieby

JeffLieby

I play DR Highbeams. That is my preference because I like stainless on a round core. The tension is perfect. You can get a good deal from bassstringsonline.com. Since you are a TB member you get a discount if you sign up (free) for his VIP program. I also like the fact that you can create a custom guage set. I like .040, .055, .075, .095, .120 for my 5 strings.
  12. bass12

I would recommend you speak with Jason (goes by the name Slapinfunk here on TB). He owns Bass Strings Online and is great to deal with (really knows his stuff).
  13. bass12

I love the Hi-Beams on my 35" Lull Jazz but found the B string too floppy on my 34" Sadowsky. Just something to consider. :)