1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mgaisbacher, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher

So ever since I have started playing bass I have only used Spirocores and I do like the sound of them but I don't really know any other strings to try. I am getting a bass made from Upton at the moment and was thinking it would be a good time to try out some other strings. I play mostly jazz but would like a string that is fairly bow able. I am mostly just looking for others suggestions on strings since it isn't cheap just to try out a set. Also I am wondering if I should just stick with sprios since it is something I know and already like.

any thoughts?
  2. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

The happiest bass players are the ones who play Spirocores from birth until death.
  3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

It's tough to argue with that! :)

Most folks that get the "string fever" end up trying a bunch of different strings, only to end up with Spiro's- they then have a lighter wallet and a drawer full of strings...believe me, I have that drawer...actually it's a couple shoe boxes...but I digress...

There's no substitute for actual experience. If you REALLY feel like you need to find out what else is out there, go right ahead- you never know what you may find. You could end up back where you started, secure in the knowledge that you have exhausted all of the other possibilities...or you may not.

Also, Spiro's bow fine- they were designed as an orchestral string in the first place- that does not mean that you wont find strings out there that are easier to bow...but will they give you the pizz sound you are looking for? Maybe, maybe not...

Finally, with all due respect, I believe that when you are getting a new bass you should stick with a known quantity for strings- something familiar. Science warns us that changing too many variables in an experiment can make it difficult or impossible to follow what is going on.

That said, I would suggest Spiro's on the new bass- live with it a while, and THEN start screwing around with strings if you still feel you need to.

MHO- YMMV

Joe
  4. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

what they said. also, after you've had time to get to know your new bass with the tried and true strings you know and love, if you wanna try other strings get used ones from members here on TBDB; save a lot of $ that way. cheers!
  5. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher

Thanks for the input. Yeah I think for the time being I'll stick with spiros for now. On my Khor that I have at the moment the sound of them under the bow is starting to warm up to me, and I think it's more because of my technique improving then the strings themselves.
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes

Be prepared to mix-and-match. Most Pirastro offerings have a slightly lighter E string than the feel of the G-D-A strings would indicate in order to preserve arco response. So, for example, if you went with Evah's, you might like the weich for G-D-A and the mittel for the E string. You might lose a little bit of arco response on the low E, but it will be there when you "dig in" on the pizz.
  7. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

New bass, anything other than Spirocores and you'll never know how much of what you're hearing is the bass and how much is from the unfamiliar strings. Start with Spirocores for consistency. And it is true what has been said, string tours usually cost a pile of dough and lead to heart break. It would be hypocritical of me to say don't do it, but I would say don't do it, "just because". If you start to want something very specific, then a targeted experiment is best.